As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through my links. Please view our terms for additional information on our affiliations.
Chocolate Nice Cream…all the creaminess and fun of regular ice cream without the dairy! All it takes is 3 ingredients that I bet you’ve got on hand right now. Frozen bananas, maple syrup and cacao powder. Yup, that easy! Delicious enough to satisfy a sweet tooth, but healthy enough to eat for breakfast. Go on, I won’t stop you!
These hot August nights have been particularly hot and nice cream, Tangy Vegan Cucumber Salads, and Instant Pot recipes have been on repeat. Basically anything that doesn’t require me standing over a hot stove is game for dinner.
I was introduced to nice cream when I first transitioned to vegan and realized I could no longer (or rather, wouldn’t) indulge in ice cream. It’s definitely one of my favorite ways to use up extra ripe bananas.
You might be wondering why it is called nice cream…Nice cream is essentially short for banana ice cream. It’s also nicer to the animals and planet than regular ice cream, giving it a double meaning.
I almost forgot to share this recipe on the blog because it’s one of those recipes that doesn’t feel like a recipe – it’s just too easy.
I did realize, however, that some of you may not have been introduced to nice cream and I figured I’d share it with you – no matter how easy! Nothing would make me happier than to convert you to the dairy free way.
the magic shell
Although nice cream is absolutely delicious on it’s own, I often like to pair it with a quick homemade magic chocolate shell to make it even more indulgent.
I love magic shells because they instantly harden when they hit the ice cream and create this delicious, crackable chocolate shell over the ice cream.
To make your own, simply mix together one part melted coconut oil, one part maple syrup, and one part cacao powder.
Then pour over your nice cream scoop and optional but recommended: sprinkle with salt. Trust me, it’s perfection.
To make your banana ice cream, you’ll need 5-6 frozen bananas. Make sure to peel your bananas before freezing them and store them in a freezer safe bag like a freezer ziplock or my favorite reusable bags: half gallon stasher bags.
Next, add in maple syrup and cacao powder with the frozen bananas and blend or process until smooth.
If desired you can also add in some chopped nuts, chocolate chips or any ice cream add ins. Customize this to fit your taste buds! This chocolate nice cream is a great starting base.
At this point, you can eat as a more soft serve style ice cream, or if you prefer something more scoop-able like in the photos, you’ll need to freeze it again to stiffen!
making scoopable dairy free ice cream
If you prefer the scoop-able version, transfer your nice cream to a 9×5 loaf pan and stick it back in the freezer for at least 4 hours, preferably over night!
I like to line my loaf pan with parchment paper to make for easy clean up and you can also use the parchment paper to cover the nice cream to prevent freezer burn.
Note: The maple syrup will prevent it from freezing solid, but it will still harden enough to make it scoop-able! Win!
Once ready, scoop into chocolate dipped ice cream cones or your favorite bowl. Don’t forget the magic shell!
Long Term Freezer Storage
If you want to make larger batches of this recipe and store for emergency ice cream needs, store the loaf pan in an airtight freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. This will stay good for several weeks.
I hope you guys love this recipe. I can’t wait to see your creations and see all the fun toppings you choose to incorporate. Don’t forget to tag me or message me on Instagram so I can see! It’s one of my favorite things to see.
And if you need more no-bake recipes, check these out!
- Flourless Brownie Bars (no bake)
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats (no-bake)
- Vanilla Cake in a Mug
- Watermelon Cucumber Cooler
- Kale and Beetroot Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
Vegan Banana Ice Cream that’s only 3 ingredients, customizable and scoop-able! The perfect recipe that is healthy, but will satisfy that chocolate craving
CHOCOLATE NICE CREAM
- 5–6 very ripe bananas, frozen
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (adjust amount based on your sweetness preference)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Optional: pinch of salt
MAGIC CHOCOLATE SHELL
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (adjust amount based on your sweetness preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Freeze your ripe bananas in a freezer safe ziplock or reusable silicone bag until solid (several hours or best, overnight). Make sure to peel the bananas prior to freezing or the peels will be very difficult to remove.
- Add frozen bananas, maple syrup, cacao powder and optional pinch of salt to a food processor or high speed blender like Vitamix. Blend until completely smooth. If using the Vitamix, use the tamper to press the bananas into the blade. You should not need any liquid.
- If desired, fold in chopped nuts, chocolate chips, crushed Oreos or any other add ins.
- At this point, you could eat immediately as is for a more soft serve style nice cream. If you want something more scoop-able like traditional ice cream, transfer the nice cream to a parchment lined loaf pan. Put the loaf pan back in the freezer using the parchment paper to cover the nice cream for at least 6 hours or preferably over night.
- The maple syrup should prevent this nice cream from freezing completely solid but if needed, thaw nice cream for 10 minutes on counter before scooping.
- Serve with the magic shell topping. To make, simply mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cacao until smooth. Pour over ice cream and it will harden immediately, creating a shell.
- *Prep time does not include freezing the bananas*
- You need a high speed blender or food processor to make this ice cream. A regular blender or Ninja Blender with the blade up the stem will not be able to get this completely smooth.
- This is a great chocolate base flavor – feel free to customize with any add ins of your choosing!
- This nice cream does taste like bananas.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan nice cream, vegan ice cream, chocolate nice cream recipe, nice cream, banana ice cream