Easy vegetarian and vegan crispy peanut tofu. Sweet, spicy and tangy! Satisfies that takeout itch but is so much better in every way.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (frozen and thawed)
- 6 tbsp corn starch (for coating)
- 1/4 cup-1/3 cup avocado oil, for pan frying
PEANUT TOFU SAUCE
- 1/3 cup peanut butter + 1 tbsp
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- brown rice
- green onion
- black sesame seeds
- lime wedges
- Cut your extra firm tofu block into uniform rectangles.
- Lightly coat each side of tofu bites in corn starch
- Heat 1/3 cup avocado oil in large cast iron skillet for frying.
- Pan fry each piece of tofu until crispy (about 3 minutes each side) over medium heat. Put fried tofu on paper towels or napkins to absorb excess oil. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do this in batches.
- While the tofu is pan frying, whisk together all of the peanut sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Once your tofu is all pan fried, turn heat down to low and allow the pan to cool slightly (2-3 minutes). Add all tofu back into your skillet and add the sauce. Completely coat the tofu in the peanut sauce and heat thoroughly.
- Serve immediately over rice with suggested toppings! Enjoy.
- Frozen tofu takes about 2-3 days to thaw in the refrigerator so plan ahead!
- After all of my tofu pan fried, there was not a lot of oil leftover in the pan (maybe a couple teaspoons). If you find you have excess oil remaining, feel free to remove it before adding the tofu back in to coat the tofu in the peanut sauce.
- My favorite tofu brand! I buy it at Whole Foods.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: crispy peanut tofu; easy tofu; easy vegetarian tofu; spicy peanut tofu; easy vegan recipe; 30 minute meal