Hearty lentil and carrot meatloaf with homemade ketchup made in one bowl. Serve over mashed potatoes with fried sage!
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium/large carrots
- 2.5 cups cooked, cooled lentils
- 1.5 cup oat flour
- .5 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup ketchup (reserve 1/3 for topping)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (sub date syrup for refined sugar free)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Process the onion, carrot and garlic together in the food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Process the lentils in the food processor until roughly chopped. Transfer to the large mixing bowl.
- Process the oats in the food processor until you reach the consistency of a fine powder. Transfer to the large mixing bowl.
- In the mixing bowl, add the remaining loaf ingredients and mix until well combined. Be sure to reserve 1/3 of the ketchup for topping the loaf.
- Transfer mixture to a parchment lined loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the loaf, top with the reserved 1/3 ketchup and return to the oven for an additional 25 min.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. I recommend serving with mashed potatoes and fried sage!
- Make sure your lentils are cooled before processing in food processor. If they are too warm they will not hold their shape.
- If you have a large enough food processor, you may be able to mix all ingredients together in food processor.
- If you do not have parchment paper, you can oil the loaf pan instead.
- I highly recommend using the homemade ketchup recipe instead of regular ketchup, however I think regular ketchup would work in a pinch.
Keywords: meatloaf, one dish recipe, easy recipe, holiday dinner, vegan, plant-based