As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through my links. Please view our terms for additional information on our affiliations.
Lately I have been VERY into tomatoes of all types and forms. They are easily one of the best parts of summer and are so versatile. And what better way to celebrate delicious tomatoes than with an easy, homemade margherita flatbread pizza? It’s so much easier than it seems and once you try homemade dough, you won’t go back. Good vegan cheese, tomato sauce and tons of fresh basil…Plus, pair it with a good wine…cannot go wrong!
To make this pizza, I used my naan dough recipe and I must say, it works perfectly. You can roll the dough as thin as you would like, it’s the simplest of ingredients, oil free and you can make it ahead of time for an easy week night recipe. It’s also less time consuming and easier to make than regular pizza dough. Basically, all around better.
To prep your dough, check out the naan recipe and then come back for the pizza party. You can of course use store-bought dough, but this one is so easy you really should give it a try! Plus, homemade is always better.
Once your dough has risen for an hour and doubled in size, divide it in two. Two pizzas is always better than one, right?
Now, sprinkle your surface with a bit of all purpose flour and roll your dough out into a circle that is about 10″ in diameter. If you want a thinner dough, roll it out into a 12″ circle.
This also does not have to be perfect by any means! You can see that my pizza wasn’t a perfect circle but it’s just as good. I think it even gives it a homemade charm with an organic shape! As long as the dough is rolled evenly, that’s all that matters.
Next, add on your pizza sauce. For a classic margherita pizza, use San Marzano’s crushed tomatoes for the tomato sauce. I used Rao’s marinara sauce. I know it’s not traditional, but it’s what I had on hand and I am all about using what you’ve got. Plus, I really really love Rao’s marinara sauce (really, I think I could drink it with a straw) so I was very happy with the outcome here!
Finally, the vegan cheese! I highly recommend Miyoko’s Creamery Mozzarella. It actually melts, bubbles, and is the closest texture to real mozzarella in my opinion. It doesn’t get gummy or weird when it bakes and it also does not have an overpowering fake cheese taste. If you’re able to find it near you, definitely give it a try!
I mean…just look at those bubbles! Who says vegans can’t have good cheese?
Lastly, the basil. Lots and lots of basil. Quite possibly the best part of margherita pizza.
That’s it! Doesn’t this seem super easy? I promise it is so simple and if your dough is prepped ahead of time, it can be ready in 30 minutes or less for a quick week night recipe! Pizza in the middle of the week is guaranteed to make staying in more fun.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later and if you give it a try, don’t forget to tag Home-Cooked Roots on social media. I love seeing your recipes!
If you’re in need of more 30 minute weeknight recipes, these are some of my favorites:
- Sticky Vegan Orange Chicken
- Crispy Peanut tofu
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Whipped Tofu Ricotta
- Lemongrass and Coconut Yellow Curry
- Spicy Creamy Instant Pot Ramen
And for dessert? Try this 2 minute Vanilla Cake in a Mug.
Vegan flatbread pizza made with homemade naan bread dough, easy pantry staples, and fresh summer ingredients! Once you try homemade flatbread you won’t go back. And prep the dough ahead of time for a quick weeknight recipe.
- Follow the naan bread recipe steps 1-3.
- Once dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and put your baking sheet or cast iron skillet into the oven to pre-heat.
- Next, turn out your risen dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into two balls.
- Roll out each dough ball into a 10″-12″ round. The shape does not have to be perfect, just make sure it is rolled out an even thickness so it cooks evenly.
- Top both pizzas with 1/2 cup of marinara sauce or pizza sauce and vegan cheese. I recommend this vegan cheese.
- Once oven has preheated, remove the preheated cookie sheet or skillet, carefully add 1 of the pizzas, and return to oven. Bake one pizza at a time for 6-8 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Depending on the vegan cheese you use, it may not melt like traditional cheese.
- Top with basil and enjoy immediately.
- If you make your naan bread dough ahead of time, make sure to take it out of the fridge 1 hour before needed to allow it to warm to room temperature. Cold dough is difficult to roll and is not as soft and chewy once baked.
- If you choose to use store bought dough, I cannot guarantee the results will be the same.
- I baked my pizzas in my 12″ cast iron skillet but I have also used a cookie sheet. Both have good results however I do prefer the cast iron.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: margherita pizza, vegan pizza, vegan flatbread, flatbread pizza, naan flatbread, easy vegan pizza