This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
I know I told you I’m not a big salad person, but I can get behind a warm salad. And this roasted brussel, apple and beet salad with mustard ale sauce is super simple. Only take about 30 minutes start to finish and is very satisfying. Serve on it’s own or as a side (would be a perfect side for our lentil and carrot meatloaf!) It’s sweet, tangy, slightly crispy and seriously delicious. Basically the perfect fall and winter salad.
This recipe is inspired by a salad my husband and I had earlier this year at Maui Brewing Company in Kihei, Maui. The salad was called the roots and sprouts salad and it had the most amazing warm mustard dressing that was made with their Big Swell beer. We actually went to this brewery a couple of times throughout our trip just to eat this salad. It was so good. And after many tries, I have created a mustard ale sauce that is both husband-approved and very very close to what we had in Maui!
Now, it’s important to note that my husband is NOT a mustard fan and he absolutely loves this dressing. So if you are reading this and you are also not a fan of mustard, don’t write it off just yet! The distinct vinegar flavor in mustard is muted by the ale beer and a hint of sweetness from maple syrup. It’s tangy, but it’s not overly mustard tasting. Trust me!
how to make the mustard ale sauce:
First, in a small sauce pan you want to simmer together 1 bottle of an ale beer with the maple syrup and a generous pinch of salt. I used Lagunitas IPA India Pale Ale but any ale should do.
Simmer this for about 15 minutes over medium heat, whisking frequently, until it no longer smells like beer. It should have a golden amber color and smell slightly sweet and fruity. Next, add in the yellow mustard and continue to stir. If you want a thin sauce, you can skip adding the tapioca starch, however I like it a little thicker so I recommend adding in 2 teaspoons of tapioca starch. Whisk frequently until it thickens – about 15 minutes or so.
now while you’re cooking the mustard ale sauce on the stovetop, roast your veggies!
Now, I am a bit of a cheater and used pre-cooked beets in this recipe! In a little bit of avocado oil, I roasted the honey crisp apples and beets in a large casserole dish and the brussel sprouts separately on a baking sheet. While they roast, the apples will turn a beautiful pink color! *Heart eyes*
After roasting, I add the brussel sprouts to the casserole dish and mix them together with the beets and apples. Finally drizzle the mustard ale sauce all over and mix to combine. Does that not look so good!? YUM.
This salad is good both warm and cold but I love it best when warm! If you try this recipe, please leave a comment down below! I hope you love this roasted brussel, apple, and beet salad with mustard ale sauce as much as we do.Print
Beets, honey crisp apples and brussel sprouts roasted in the oven and then tossed in our homemade mustard ale sauce. Only take about 30 minutes start to finish and is very satisfying. Serve on it’s own or as a side. It’s sweet, tangy, slightly crispy and seriously delicious. Basically the perfect fall and winter salad.
- 3 cups red beets
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 4–5 small honey crisp apples
- 4 tbsp avocado oil for roasting
MUSTARD ALE SAUCE
- 1 ale beer (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2/3 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean and half your brussel sprouts. Chop the beets and apples into bite size pieces. I used pre-cooked beets in this recipe to make it super easy!
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, roast the brussel sprout halves in 2 tbsp oil for 30 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large casserole dish, roast the beets and apple in 2 tbsp oil for 20 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- While the brussels, beets and apples are roasting, make the mustard ale sauce. Pour 1 1/2 cups ale beer into a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add in maple syrup and salt and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk frequently.
- Once it is a dark amber color and sweet smelling, add in yellow mustard and tapioca starch. Simmer for another 15 minutes, whisking frequently.
- After 15 minutes it should have thickened slightly and be ready to serve.
- Once the brussels, beets, and apple have roasted, add the brussel sprouts into the casserole dish with the apples and beets.
- Pour the mustard ale sauce over the brussels, apples and beets and mix to combine.
- Serve warm on it’s own or as a side dish!
- I used pre-cooked beets in this recipe! I used the brand Love Beets.
Keywords: winter salad; plant-based recipe; 30 min meal; easy vegan recipes; mustard ale sauce