Beets, honey crisp apples and brussel sprouts roasted in the oven and then tossed in our homemade mustard ale sauce. Only take about 30 minutes start to finish and is very satisfying. Serve on it’s own or as a side. It’s sweet, tangy, slightly crispy and seriously delicious. Basically the perfect fall and winter salad.
- 3 cups red beets
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 4–5 small honey crisp apples
- 4 tbsp avocado oil for roasting
MUSTARD ALE SAUCE
- 1 ale beer (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2/3 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean and half your brussel sprouts. Chop the beets and apples into bite size pieces. I used pre-cooked beets in this recipe to make it super easy!
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, roast the brussel sprout halves in 2 tbsp oil for 30 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large casserole dish, roast the beets and apple in 2 tbsp oil for 20 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- While the brussels, beets and apples are roasting, make the mustard ale sauce. Pour 1 1/2 cups ale beer into a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add in maple syrup and salt and simmer for 15 minutes. Whisk frequently.
- Once it is a dark amber color and sweet smelling, add in yellow mustard and tapioca starch. Simmer for another 15 minutes, whisking frequently.
- After 15 minutes it should have thickened slightly and be ready to serve.
- Once the brussels, beets, and apple have roasted, add the brussel sprouts into the casserole dish with the apples and beets.
- Pour the mustard ale sauce over the brussels, apples and beets and mix to combine.
- Serve warm on it’s own or as a side dish!
- I used pre-cooked beets in this recipe! I used the brand Love Beets.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: winter salad; plant-based recipe; 30 min meal; easy vegan recipes; mustard ale sauce