Slow Cooker Vegan Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 12-16 ounces vegan ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans - or 1 ½ cups cooked beans
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 15 ounces enchilada sauce - Siete Foods brand works well
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese - for topping
- cilantro - for topping
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion, garlic, and vegan ground beef. Break up the beef with a rubber spatula and sauté until the beef begins to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cumin, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and dried oregano. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add the black beans and green chiles and stir to combine. Remove the enchilada mixture from the heat and mix in ½ cup of enchilada sauce.
- Add ¾ cup of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker and spread to cover evenly. Add 3-4 tortillas on top of the sauce in a single layer. Depending on the size and dimensions of your slow cooker, you may need to cut the tortillas in half. Add ⅓ of the beef mixture, then top with ½ cup of vegan cheese.
- Layer tortillas, beef mixture, and vegan cheese two more times then add a final layer of tortillas on top followed by the rest of the enchilada sauce. Top with a final ½ cup of vegan cheese (or more to your liking).
- Cover and slow cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Once done, turn off the warm setting and allow the enchilada casserole to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with french cilantro and enjoy!
- Allow leftovers to cool completely then cut into individual portion sizes and freeze using freezer safe containers (I like to do this using my 2 cup Souper Cubes). Freeze for 1-2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or reheat from frozen in the oven. Reheat covered with foil at 350F for 20-50 minutes (closer to 50 mins if frozen solid).
- Nutritional info will vary widely depending on vegan ground beef and vegan shredded cheese you use.
- I like to use Abbot’s Butcher vegan ground beef for a healthier Whole 30 approved vegan beef.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.