This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
This week we’ve had super nice weather over here in California and although we are on a shelter in place, it’s been so nice to walk around the block in warm, sunny weather as opposed to the the overcast skies we had a few weeks ago. I’ve officially had a taste of summer and it’s made me so excited for when life returns to normal and we can see our friends and family again (positive thoughts!). What better way to celebrate warmer weather than with a cold, sweet and sour strawberry limeade! It’s so quick, easy and contains ingredients you likely have on hand!
I’ve honestly been craving a margarita but because we don’t have any tequila, my husband got creative and made me this cocktail complete with a sugar rimmed glass to make it feel as close to a margarita as possible. And well friends, it worked! It’s sweet, it’s tangy, it’s refreshing, and if I close my eyes – it SORT OF tastes like a strawberry margarita. As close as we can get when using vodka instead of tequila, right? What more could we ask for?!
The recipe below is written for two drinks, but if you’re hosting you can easily double or triple the recipe! And if you’re looking for a virgin cocktail, just leave out the vodka! It’s equally as good.
A couple of tips for making your strawberry limeade
Now, although this recipe is definitely customizable, there are a few things to know ahead of time! Firstly, be sure to use frozen strawberries. This helps the drink stay ice cold and gives it that slushy margarita frozen drink vibe. It also prevents the need for using ice which keeps it from tasting watered down. If you don’t have frozen strawberries, consider freezing them ahead of time, or last resort, use ice. It will still be good, but more…icy.
Secondly, this recipe uses a lot of limes. About 10, depending on the size of your limes. We buy the big bag of limes from Costco. It’s relatively cheap and we honestly just use a lot of limes. They’re so versatile and we LOVE lime juice on tacos. Not sure how I don’t have a taco recipe up yet but I will work on that asap.
Finally, and this is personal preference, but I don’t like my strawberry limeade to be too thick. I like somewhere between a smoothie and a slushy, so my husband topped these off with sparkling lime water. Have you guys ever been drinking a drink that’s so thick that you’re tipping the cup upwards so far, tapping the sides to get a taste and the entire drink just plops down onto your face? A milkshake, specifically? No? Just me?
Well, I hate that. BUT if you love a thick drink, go for it. Leave out the sparkling water and maybe increase the frozen strawberries!
I hope you guys try this and love it! It would be so perfect to help get you in the mood for summer if you’re not already. Or if you’re having the shelter in place blues this certainly helps! I promise!
This strawberry limeade is the perfect cocktail (or mocktail) to get you ready for summer! Only 5 ingredients – it’s sweet, sour and refreshing. Great for hosting and warmer nights.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 4 ounces vodka (skip for a mocktail strawberry limeade)
- 5 ounces of lime juice (about 10 limes, depending on size)
- 3 ounces simple syrup
- 6–8 ounces lime sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sugaring the rims optional
- Blend all ingredients except for the sparkling water in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Wet the rims of two drinking glasses. In a shallow bowl, add the 2 table spoons of sugar. Dip the rims of the drinking glasses in the sugar until coated.
- Pour the blended mixture evenly between the two drinking glasses.
- Top off the drinks with the lime sparkling water.
- We recommend using frozen strawberries as opposed to ice as ice will make this watered down.
- If you prefer your drinks thicker, increase the amount of frozen strawberries used.
- If you want this to be a margarita, use tequila!
- If you want a virgin cocktail, skip the alcohol. It will be just as good.
Keywords: strawberry limeade, homemade cocktail, frozen cocktail, easy cocktails, easy vegan cocktails, 5 ingredient recipe, easy drink recipe, limeade margarita