Sweet potato and kale chickpea frittata! Only requires 6 ingredients and is so easy and customizable! Perfect plant-based option for all your brunching needs.
- 4 cups sweet potato
- 1 bunch red kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (sometimes called besan flour)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil for sautéing (I used avocado oil)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add chickpea flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red chili flakes (optional) and rinsed, red lentils to large mixing bowl. Mix in 1 cup of a water at a time until you have added 4 cups of water. This will help avoid clumps. Set aside bowl. This should sit for about 20 minutes while you sauté veggies.
- Dice your onion, garlic, and sweet potato and kale.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a cast iron skillet or other oven friendly skillet until soft.
- Next add in the sweet potato and sauté until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add in red kale and sauté for a few minutes or until bright green. Careful not to overcook the greens.
- Finally, mix the chickpea flour and red lentils mixture once more before pouring overtop the veggies in the cast iron skillet.
- Using the flat side of your spatula, gently push down any veggies that are sticking above the chickpea and lentil mixture. You want all veggies to be covered so everything cooks evenly.
- Cook your frittata in the oven in the cast iron skillet for 50-55 minutes. It should be slightly brown around the edges.
- Serve with a side of greens and a sprinkle of salt! I also love this with ketchup or hot sauce!
- Red lentils cook very easily so they do not need to be precooked! Just be sure they have about 20 minutes to soak in chickpea flour and water mixture while you sauté veggies. This will allow them to soften.
- This recipe is very customizable! Use any vegetables you would like. Just shoot for similar ratios. Roughly 5-6 cups veggies.
- I recommend cooking this in a cast iron skillet but any oven friendly skillet should do.
Keywords: vegan breakfast; vegan frittata; sweet potato and kale frittata; vegan meal prep; easy recipes; one pot dish; plant-based recipe