This vegan mushroom gravy fulfills all of my gravy dreams and bonus: it’s much better for you than the real deal. Same flavorful, salty, buttery flavor and only takes about 30 minutes to come together. Gravy happiness and an anti-oxidant boost? I’ll take it!
- 20 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium to large onion
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, plus 1 tbsp for sautéing
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour (can sub all purpose flour if not gluten free)
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp thyme or 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Coursely chop baby bella mushrooms and onion.
- Saute in 1 tbsp of butter in large skillet on medium heat until soft and the baby bella mushrooms have released excess moisture.
- Transfer sauteed onion, mushroom and excess juices to the Vitamix and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In the large skillet, add in 1/2 a cup of butter. Once melted, add in 1/3 cup of gluten free flour and whisk for a few minutes to create a roux. Add in spices.
- Once roux is created, pour blended onion and mushrooms into the skillet with the roux.
- Whisk to fully incorporate and allow mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Finally add in soy sauce and vegetable broth to reach desired consistency. Stir and allow to simmer for 3-5 additional minutes.
- Pour over instant pot mashed potatoes or Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy!
- Depending on the gluten free flour you use, it may have a couple of lumps. Lumps should dissipate once the gravy simmers.
- You can use all purpose flour if you are not gluten free!
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan mushroom gravy; vegan thanksgiving; easy vegan recipe; gluten free recipe; 30 minute recipe