These Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos are one of my favorite meal buffalo cauliflower meal ideas. Crispy buffalo cauliflower bites and creamy vegan coleslaw stuffed in a charred corn tortilla. So satisfying and delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Great meal for meat eaters. I’ve served these buffalo cauliflower tacos to meat eaters on several occasions and they are always a huge hit! Some can’t believe how little difference there really is between a chicken wing and tender cauliflower.
- Very little hands on prep. Although the Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites do have a long bake time, the amount of time you need to be in the kitchen prepping these tacos is actually less than 30 minutes. Easy enough for week nights or fuss free vegan dinners.
- Perfect balance of spicy and cool. The creamy vegan mayonnaise base in the coleslaw helps cool the spice of the buffalo sauce and is the perfect combination. I even recommend making a little extra coleslaw dressing on the side and drizzling extra on top of your cauliflower tacos!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites – All you need is 8 simple pantry staple ingredients to make your own crispy cauliflower at home. My method is also one of the easiest methods that prevents the batter from running off the cauliflower and sticking to the baking sheet.
- Vegan Coleslaw – I love making a super easy, classic tasting vegan mayonnaise based coleslaw. If you want to change up the flavor of your cauliflower tacos, you could use my Avocado Crema (vegan) as the coleslaw base instead!
- Coleslaw dressing – I always make 1.5x the amount of my coleslaw dressing base and set some aside to drizzle on the tacos for later. Highly recommend for the creamiest buffalo cauliflower tacos.
- Tortillas – I use corn tortillas that I charred over an open flame, but you can use any tortilla here. Use what you have!
Step by Step Instructions
- Bake the buffalo cauliflower bites. You want to do this as close to meal time as possible because as with any oven-fried or breaded food, it is at it’s best, crispiest texture fresh from the oven. If you’re making tacos with leftover cauliflower, reheat them in the oven or air fryer to re-crisp them as best as possible.
- Warm the tortillas. No matter what kind of tortilla you are using, you want to warm them before serving to make them nice and pliable. They also always taste better when they are warmed! I like to char mine quickly over an open flame, but you can also heat yours in a skillet or even warm them in a damp tea towel in the microwave. If you’ve never charred tortillas over an open flame before, follow this tutorial – How to Warm Tortillas – to help you do so safely!
- Add your vegan coleslaw. I recommend adding the coleslaw before the buffalo cauliflower bites because it helps the coleslaw stay in the taco and be even in every bite.
- Add on the buffalo cauliflower bites. Depending on the size of your tortilla, you may be able to fit anywhere from 2-5 cauliflower florets.
- Drizzle with extra vegan coleslaw dressing. This is my favorite part! It really helps balance the spiciness of the cauliflower and makes the cauliflower tacos extra flavorful.
- Enjoy immediately! Nothing is better than crispy buffalo cauliflower bites straight from the oven.
I almost always use Frank’s Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, but I also love the Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce with Cashew Butter. If you are vegan, keep in mind that Frank’s Red Hot has a few buffalo sauces on the market and their sauce made specifically for wings is not vegan because it contains dairy.
Yes! These buffalo cauliflower tacos are vegan friendly. They can also be made gluten free friendly, if desired.
Yes! Using the air fryer is a great way to cut down on the bake time or help keep the house cool in the heat of summer. Follow the steps of the crispy cauliflower bites as normal, but air fry the cauliflower in a single layer in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Coat them in the buffalo sauce and air fry again for an additional 8-10 minutes. For most air fryer models, you are going to need to do this in a few batches to prevent overcrowding. You can also warm your tortillas in the air fryer too, if desired.
- Keep your tortillas warm. This way if your family or guests go back for seconds, the tortillas will still be pliable and easy to fold for seconds.
- Keep leftover vegan coleslaw for another dinner. I like serving it with Beer Braised Jackfruit Enchiladas or BBQ Tempeh.
More Vegan Taco Recipes You’ll Love
Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Coleslaw
- Prepare the Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites by following the separate recipe. Do not make the tahini ranch – it is not needed for these tacos.
- While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the Vegan Coleslaw and extra vegan coleslaw dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan coleslaw dressing (this is simply just half of the amount called for in the vegan coleslaw recipe and is used to drizzle over the tacos and make them extra creamy). Then in a separate larger mixing bowl, prepare the Vegan Coleslaw recipe. Cover and transfer both to the refrigerator to chill.
- When the cauliflower only has about 10 minutes left during the second bake, warm the tortillas. I like to do this by charring them over an open flame on the stove top, but you can also warm them until pliable in a large skillet or even in the microwave.
- Prepare the tacos by layering the vegan coleslaw, buffalo cauliflower and extra drizzle of coleslaw dressing on your tortillas of choice. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.