This vegan avocado crema recipe is a lighter version of a delicious favorite! Rather than using greek yogurt or sour cream, you’ll use blended cashews and avocado to create a similar creamy consistency.
It is the perfect topping for all things savory, especially your favorite Mexican-inspired dishes! If you are a fan of guacamole, this easy avocado crema recipe is a great way to mix things up and make your favorite meals even better!
Why This Recipe Works
- Only seven ingredients: And they can all be easily found at the grocery store or online! I love when a handful of ingredients can turn into something so delicious!
- Ready to go in under 15 minutes: Most key ingredients can be combined while the cashews boil, saving you even more time! This is definitely one of the simplest recipes to add to your Taco Tuesday menu!
- Fantastic flavors: The tang from the pickled jalapeños and fresh limes combined with the mixture of ripe avocados and cashews will make this one of your favorite sauce recipes! If you decide to leave them out, increase the salt and lime to compensate. I definitely recommend trying them. They add a fantastic flavor!
- Vegan recipe: Like all of my recipes, this creamy avocado sauce is vegan! It is a dairy-free avocado crema that is a fantastic twist on a traditional Mexican crema with an addition of avocado.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro gives this avocado creme recipe taste delightfully fresh with a little bit of a bite. If you want less cilantro flavor, remove the stems or use less.
- Lime: Lime juice is a great addition to this simple sauce, adding a perfect tang.
- Avocado: This avocado lime crema recipe would be nothing without the avocados! The creamy avocado flesh helps form the cream base for this vegan crema.
- Cashews: Cashews make the creamiest, cheesiest sauces. They work together with the avocados to make this creamy dip. Another favorite way to use cashews is in this Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread.
- Pickled jalepeño nacho slices and brine: This tasty sauce is improved by the tangy, spicy, and sweet combination that comes from pickled jalepeños.
Substitutions and Variations
- Lemon juice: If you don’t have limes, you can substitute them with lemon juice.
- Extra lime: If you want even more lime flavor, consider adding some lime zest to this avocado dip.
- Spicy: If you want spicy avocado crema, add chili powder, Tajin, or red pepper flakes.
- Garlic: If you like a strong garlic flavor, mix in some fresh garlic or garlic powder.
How to Make Avocado Crema
- Soften cashews: Boil the cashews for 5-10 minutes.
- Blend ingredients: Drain the cashews and blend them with all other ingredients until smooth.
- Refine taste: Add additional sea salt and fresh lime juice to taste.
This avocado crema makes a great dipping sauce for tortilla chips. It is also a perfectly flavorful sauce for burrito bowls, buddha bowls, veggie burgers, or your favorite Mexican recipes.
If you are looking for suggestions for pairing, here are a few of my favorite main dish recipes:
Here are some more great ideas to level up your taco night:
- Vegan Tempeh Walnut Taco Meat
- Copycat Chipotle Black Beans
- Mango Corn Salsa
- Melty Vegan Cheese
- Roasted Chili Corn Salsa
- Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Fajita Veggies
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Vegetarian Refried Beans
FAQs and Tips
Yes! This crema freezes well. Simply freeze it in a glass mason jar for up to two months. When ready to enjoy, thaw completely in the refrigerator.
I haven’t tried making this crema without the cilantro, but you can certainly try it! If you have good results, please leave a comment letting me know.
Yes! To make this crema into a good avocado salad dressing, simply add 2 tablespoons more water.
- Make sure to use a very ripe avocado. If your avocado is too hard, your crema won’t be as creamy.
- Soak the cashews before blending! Not only will this make them easier to blend, but it also cuts the sweetness of the cashews and results in a more neutral sauce.
- Adjust the lime juice, pickled jalapeños and salt to taste! Use this recipe as a guide and adjust to your personal liking as needed!
More Vegan Sauces and Dips
Avocado Crema Recipe
What You’ll Need
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for 5-10 minutes.
- After 5-10 minutes, drain cashews and add all ingredients to a high speed blender (I use the Vitamix). Blend until completely smooth. Taste and add additional sea salt or lime juice, as desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- You need a high speed blender to make this recipe perfectly smooth and creamy. I do not recommend using the Ninja Blender with the blades up the stem. It will remain gritty.
- If you want less of a cilantro flavor, use half a bunch or leave out the stems.
- Make this crema into a vegan avocado salad dressing by simply adding 2 tablespoons more water.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.