These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges are ready to make in just minutes and make for a quick, healthy side dish or snack! With minimal ingredients required and step-by-step instructions down below, you are sure to get a five star rating from your family – even if this is the first run with your new air fryer.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Quick and easy. Not only are these sweet potato fries delicious, but they are hot and ready to eat in 30 minutes or less.
- Simple ingredients. If you’ve got sweet potatoes on hand, you likely have every other ingredient ready to go in your pantry! You could even keep it extra simple and season with just salt and black pepper.
- Family-friendly. While sweet potatoes may not be every kid’s first choice, when served with the right dipping sauces or main dish, I bet they won’t mind this healthy side dish over classic french fries. Serve alongside my Baked Tofu Chicken Nuggets (Vegan Dino Nuggets) for the ultimate vegan kid’s meal!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- sweet potatoes – The star of the show in this air fryer recipe! For this recipe, use fresh, raw sweet potatoes. I have not tested this recipe using frozen sweet potatoes or another cut of potato. Both would require altered cook times.
- avocado oil – One of the best oils for the air fryer because of its high smoke point. It is much higher than vegetable oil and olive oil.
- garlic powder and onion powder – Adds a great umami flavor, without the overpowering taste of raw garlic and onion. Plus, powdered garlic and onion is less likely to burn in the air fryer!
- smoked paprika – Has a smokier, spicier flavor than regular paprika. If preferred, use regular paprika, or simply omit altogether.
- salt and pepper – Either sea salt or kosher salt will work well here! I used a ½ teaspoon of kosher salt. If you are substituting sea salt or even table salt, lower the salt quantity to ¼ teaspoon.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Cut the sweet potatoes. Start by cutting off and discarding the ends. To cut the sweet potato into wedges, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then in half again, and in half one more time. You should end up with about 8 pieces. If you have a large sweet potato, you can cut extra thick wedges in half one more time.
- Season the wedges. Put the sweet potato slices into a large mixing bowl and drizzle with avocado oil. Add the seasonings and massage the spices into the sweet potatoes with your hands until the raw sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Arrange in the air fryer. Spray your air fryer basket or tray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer. Depending on your air fryer model, you may need to do a second batch.
- Cook the sweet potato wedges. Air fry the wedges at 380 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, flipping them halfway through. When ready, they should be crispy on the outside, yet fork tender on the inside. After 18 minutes, stick a fork or knife into the wedges. If it goes through with ease, they are ready. If there is any resistance or crunchiness, the sweet potato wedges will need additional time.
What to Serve With Sweet Potato Wedges
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges can be served as a snack, delicious side dish, or part of a main dish when turned into something like Loaded Nacho Fries.
Pair with your favorite dipping sauces or serve alongside your favorite vegan burger or sandwich, like my TTLA Sandwich (Whole Foods Copycat) or Easy Vegan Tofu Banh Mi with Quick Pickle Recipe. Or, serve these fries with BBQ Tempeh and Vegan Coleslaw for the ultimate BBQ dish.
Leftover sweet potato wedges will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 6 months. Whether refrigerating or freezing, make sure to let the air fryer sweet potato fries cool first. Storing them while hot can cause condensation to form and the excess moisture will make them extra soggy. Adding hot food into the refrigerator can also raise the overall temperature of the fridge, causing food safety problems for food already stored in it.
For best results, store these sweet potato wedges in an airtight container lined with paper towels to soak up any extra oil or moisture. To freeze, spread the cooked sweet potato wedges out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer, and freeze for 1-2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are frozen solid. Once frozen, transfer the sweet potato wedges to an airtight, freezer safe container.
To reheat, place the wedges back into the air fryer basket and cook at 325 F for 7-10 minutes, or until hot and crispy again.
This depends on how they are cut. If you would like to make them into wedge fries, you can cook them for 15-18 minutes. This will depend on your air fryer and whether or not you’ve preheated it.
The most common reason for soggy sweet potato fries is not leaving enough room between wedges, the hot air won’t be able to circulate around the sweet potatoes as well. For best results, make sure there is a little bit of space between each one. If you need to, it is okay to do another batch.
Tips for Success
- I did not preheat my air fryer. If you do, you may need to cook for a little bit less time.
- If you do not preheat your air fryer and cook more than one batch, note that the second batch will likely be finished cooking 1-2 minutes sooner, due to it already being preheated when the potatoes go in.
- Different Air Fryers may differ on cook time. It is a good idea to check the sweet potatoes a minute or two early just to make sure they are cooking properly.
More Recipes You’ll Like
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges Recipe
- Prep the potatoes. Cut the ends off the sweet potatoes. Then, cut sweet potatoes into wedges by cutting them in half lengthwise. Cut each half in half again. Then, cut those halves in half (to end up with 8 pieces.) If your sweet potatoes are large, you can cut some of the thicker wedges in half one more time.
- Season. Place sweet potato wedges into a large bowl. Drizzle avocado oil over top. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the oil and seasoning onto the sweet potatoes, until they’re evenly coated.
- Spray your air fryer basket or tray with nonstick spray. Place sweet potato wedges in the bottom of your air fryer basket or tray in a single layer. You might need to cook the potatoes in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry the potato wedges at 380 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes, flipping them halfway through. When ready, they should be crispy on the outside, yet fork tender on the inside. After 18 minutes, stick a fork or knife into the wedges. If it goes through with ease, they are ready. If there is any resistance or crunchiness, the sweet potato wedges will need additional time.
- Serve immediately while hot and crispy!
- Different air fryer models may require an adjusted cook time. I used a Cosori air fryer.
- Thinner cut potatoes may also cook faster. Check your potatoes periodically to find the perfect cook time for your wedges and air fryer.
General note about salt
Please pay attention to the type of salt called for in the recipe (if applicable). Not all salts are made equal and cannot be substituted 1 for 1. If you are substituting table salt for kosher salt, you will need to cut the amount called for in the recipe by at least half.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
Photography by: Your Home, Made Healthy