This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
You guys…the flavor punch in this chili verde sauce is no joke. Seriously. It is spicy, savory, tangy, mouth watering GOODNESS. I am writing this post at 8:26 am and I am salivating looking at these pictures! Chili verde jackfruit with cilantro lime brown rice belongs on your menu this week. You won’t be disappointed.
Traditionally this recipe is made with cubed pork, but jackfruit is the perfect substitute since we don’t eat our piggy friends in this neck of the woods. If you’ve never given jackfruit a try, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how meaty it is! And when cooked in the instant pot, it has that same melt in your mouth vibe! Plants are pretty incredible.
Now, this recipe was inspired by the tomatillos I received in my Imperfect Produce box! One of my favorite things about getting my produce from Imperfect Produce is trying new things. I’ve always loved tomatillo salsas and chili verde growing up, but I had never made them myself!
Aren’t they so pretty?! They’re like green tomatoes with fancy little paper hats.
Roasting them is also very, very easy! Remove the husks and rinse the tomatillos. They will feel a little sticky but that is completely normal. Chop them in half and roast for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until some of the skin on the tomatillos has blackened. I would highly recommend doing this in a large casserole dish opposed to on a baking sheet since the tomatillos release a lot of juices while roasting!
Now on to the chili verde salsa…
After the roasted tomatillos have cooled, add them to your food processor with the Anaheim peppers, yellow onion, garlic cloves and a large handful of cilantro.
Pulse the food processor until you’re left with a chunky salsa!
How good does that look?!? Such a simple homemade salsa with so much flavor you’ll be impressed with yourself.
Now, I highly recommend taking a break and eating some of this salsa with tortilla chips. It is SO GOOD. I might even recommend you set aside some to enjoy while your chili verde jackfruit is cooking in the instant pot.
I didn’t take any photos of the jackfruit sautéing in the Instant Pot because it is so easy, but I will recommend sautéing it in a bit of olive oil until soft prior to adding in the chili verde salsa. This will prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot during cooking.
cilantro lime brown rice
While the jackfruit chili verde is doing it’s thing in the instant pot, it’s time to make the cilantro lime brown rice! A lot of you probably cook your rice on the stove top, but I swear by my rice cooker. I bought this rice cooker for $30 at Costco in college and have cooked rice in it countless times and have never ever had any trouble. I love love love it.
After the rice has cooked with a couple of bay leaves, I will fluff it with a fork, add in a couple tablespoons of avocado oil, handful of chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. So easy yet SO good! Kind of reminds me of the rice at Chipotle which I could eat daily!
Once the rice and chili verde and jackfruit is ready it’s time to serve! I like to eat this with a side of greens and a big squeeze of lime. Sometimes I’ll eat the chili verde jackfruit alone with tortilla chips! I hope you guys like this recipe as much as we do.Print
The flavor punch in this chili verde jackfruit with cilantro lime brown rice recipe is no joke. It is spicy, savory, tangy, mouth watering GOODNESS.
CHILI VERDE JACKFRUIT
- 8–10 roasted tomatillos
- 4 Anaheim peppers (deseeded)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium size bunch of cilantro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine (not syrup!)
- 1/2 cup water
CILANTRO LIME RICE
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of chopped cilantro (1/2-1 cup)
Greens for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Remove the husks on the tomatillos and rinse them thoroughly.
- Chop them in half and roast the tomatillos in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the tomatillos have slightly blackened.
- After roasting, set aside the tomatillos to cool.
- Once the tomatillos have cooled slightly, add the roasted tomatillos, Anaheim peppers, onion, garlic, and cilantro to your food processor.
- Pulse the food processor several times until you have achieved a slightly chunky salsa (see pictures in post!)
- Next, rinse your jackfruit thoroughly. I like to leave a lot of the jackfruit pieces in their larger chunks to emulate cubed pork, but you can shred it into smaller pieces with your hands if you prefer.
- Using the sauté function on the instant pot, sauté the jackfruit in a couple tablespoons of oil until soft (about 10 minutes). Once soft, add in the chili verde salsa and 1/2 a cup of water. Stir well to combine.
- Twist on the instant pot lid and be sure valve on lid is set to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes.
- While the chili verde jackfruit is cooking in the Instant Pot, cook the brown rice.
- Rinse 2 cups of brown rice thoroughly before adding to the rice cooker.
- Add in 4 cups water and 2 bay leaves. Cook on brown rice setting.
- Once rice has cooked, fluff with a fork and add in 2 tablespoons of oil, handful of cilantro, and juice of one lime.
- After chili verde jackfruit has finished cooking in the instant pot, manually release pressure by twisting valve from SEAL to VENT.
- Serve chili verde jackfruit over the cilantro lime rice with a side of greens. Enjoy!
- This chili verde salsa is excellent on it’s own. I recommend setting aside 1/2 a cup to eat with tortilla chips! YUM.
- I highly recommend roasting the tomatillos as opposed to pulsing them in the salsa raw. This adds so much depth and flavor to the salsa you won’t want to skip it!
- Most mainstream grocery stores should carry jackfruit! It is in a can and is usually near the other canned fruits. It may also be found in the ethnic section of your grocery store. Just be sure to buy jackfruit in BRINE not SYRUP! I usually buy the brand Native Forest!
Keywords: chili verde salsa; instant pot recipes; chili verde jackfruit; cilantro lime rice; dinner recipes; homemade salsa; vegan; plant-based