As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through my links. Please view our terms for additional information on our affiliations.
Oven fried corn taco shells stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with salsa brava, pico de gallo, cabbage and cilantro. As dreamy as it sounds! These crispy tacos de papa are my new favorite thing. They’re easy, a little spicy, cheesy, and healthier than the traditional deep fried version! What’s not to like?
I’m really happy to report that I now have three taco recipes up on the blog. The Slow Cooker Jackfruit Carnitas with Mango Salsa, 30 Minute Vegan Fajitas and now these Crispy Tacos de Papa. I know I’m a little biased, but they’re all really good. Like really good. The perfect recipes to try out on skeptical vegans or meat lovers.
I’m also happy to report these tacos are incredibly easy to make. The first step is making your mashed potatoes. You can make them however you like using your favorite potatoes. I always make my mashed potatoes using my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe. It really is the easiest way and doesn’t require standing over a hot stove, which is a big win in the summer months!
Once you have your potatoes fully mashed to your liking, fold in about half of a cup of green onion or chives.
Next, wrap your corn tortillas in a wet towel and microwave until pliable. If you skip this, your corn tortillas will likely rip when you fold them.
With your tortillas nicely pliable, sprinkle on a little bit of vegan cheese and add on about 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes. Fold in half and lay on a baking sheet. To make adding the mashed potatoes easy, I like to use a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop. 2 scoops was the perfect amount!
For this recipe, I used this vegan mozzarella cheese shreds. We recently found it at our local Costco and really like it! Use whatever cheese you like, any vegan shreds will do! You can even omit the cheese altogether, but I really prefer it. Vegans deserve cheese, too.
Finally, brush both sides of your taco shells with oil to help crisp them up and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Guys…they’re so good!! Do I even have to convince you that mashed potatoes in a crispy taco shell is a good idea? Potatoes are so good to us.
You can top these with anything you’d like. But I do recommend trying my Easy Salsa Brava recipe with this. That salsa is traditionally served on fried potatoes, also known as patatas bravas, and this is the perfect twist! It’s spicy but packed with flavor and the cashew cream in the mashed potatoes helps even out the spice. It’s the best combination, trust me.
I also love topping this with fresh pico, shredded cabbage, cilantro and more cashew sour cream because, why not? (Cashew sour cream recipe can be found on the Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes post). YUM!
I can’t wait to see what you think of these. May I suggest enjoying with a cold Orange Hibiscus Margarita? Please leave me a comment if you give these tacos a try or have any questions! I always respond to comments and love chatting with you.
Oven fried corn taco shells stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with salsa brava, pico de gallo, cabbage and cilantro. They’re easy, a little spicy, cheesy, and healthier than the traditional deep fried version! These crispy tacos de papa are my new favorite thing.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (I used my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe)
- 1/2 cup green onion or chives
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil (for brushing the taco shells)
- salsa brava
- pico de gallo
- shredded cabbage
- cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make your mashed potatoes. I use this recipe.
- Once ready, stir 1/2 cup of green onion or chives into 3 cups of mashed potatoes and set aside.
- Wrap your 8 corn tortillas in a wet towel and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and pliable.
- One at a time, stuff your tacos. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese shreds on your tortilla and then add on about 1/3 cup mashed potatoes. Fold in half and lay on baking sheet (see photo in post for reference).
- Brush each side of your taco lightly with oil and bake for 20 minutes, flipping half way through. Your taco shells should be crispy!
- Enjoy immediately with desired fresh toppings.
CASHEW SOUR CREAM INSTRUCTIONS
- Most enjoyable fresh, but can be reheated. They will just be less crispy.
- If you do not warm your tortillas ahead of time, they will rip when you fold them.
- A link to the salsa brava recipe.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: crispy tacos de papa, easy tacos, easy vegan tacos, potato tacos, crispy potato tacos, easy vegan recipe
shop kitchen tools: