Baked corn tortillas stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with salsa brava, pico de gallo, cabbage and cilantro. As dreamy as it sounds! They’re easy, a little spicy, cheesy, and healthier than the traditional deep fried version! The best use of leftover mashed potatoes.
I’m really happy to report that I now have three taco recipes up on the blog. The Slow Cooker Jackfruit Carnitas with Mango Salsa, 30 Minute Vegan Fajitas and now these Crispy Tacos de Papa. I know I’m a little biased, but they’re all really good. Like really good. The perfect recipes to try out on skeptical vegans or meat lovers.
Step By Step Instructions
I’m also happy to report these tacos are incredibly easy to make.
- Make the mashed potatoes. I usually make my mashed potatoes ahead of time with my tried and true Almond Milk Mashed Potatoes recipe.
- Fold a half of a cup of green onion or chives into the mashed potatoes.
- Wrap your corn tortillas in a wet towel and microwave until pliable. Don’t skip this or your tortillas will rip and you will have potato quesadillas.
- Sprinkle a little vegan cheese onto the tortilla then add about ⅓ cup of mashed potatoes. Fold in half and lay the tortillas on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush both sides of your taco shells with oil to help crisp them up and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Pro Tip: To make adding the mashed potatoes easy, I like to use a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop. 2 scoops was the perfect amount!
For this recipe, I used this vegan mozzarella cheese shreds. We recently found it at our local Costco and really like it! Use whatever cheese you like, any vegan shreds will do! You can even omit the cheese altogether, but I really prefer it. Vegans deserve cheese, too.
Guys…they’re so good!! Do I even have to convince you that mashed potatoes in a crispy taco shell is a good idea? Potatoes are so good to us.
You can top these with anything you’d like. But I do recommend trying my Easy Salsa Brava recipe with this. That salsa is traditionally served on fried potatoes, also known as patatas bravas, and this is the perfect twist! It’s spicy but packed with flavor and the cashew cream in the mashed potatoes helps even out the spice. It’s the best combination, trust me.
I also love topping this with fresh pico, shredded cabbage, cilantro and more cashew sour cream because, why not?
I can’t wait to see what you think of these. May I suggest enjoying with a cold Orange Hibiscus Margarita?
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and leave a review in the comment section! I always appreciate your feedback and I know other readers do, too!
Please also stay in touch with me in our Facebook group, on Pinterest or follow me on Instagram! Sign up for my email list, too! I send my email subscribers exclusive email-only recipes!
Crispy Vegan Potato Tacos
- salsa brava
- pico de gallo
- shredded cabbage
- cashew sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add ½ cup of green onion or chives into 3 cups of mashed potatoes and stir until combined.
- Wrap your 8 corn tortillas in a wet towel and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and pliable. Alternatively, heat them on the stovetop in a skillet until pliable.
- One at a time, stuff your tacos. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese shreds on your tortilla and then add on about ⅓ cup mashed potatoes. Fold in half and lay on baking sheet (see photo in post for reference).
- Brush each side of your taco lightly with oil and bake for 20 minutes, flipping half way through. Your taco shells should be crispy!
- Enjoy immediately with desired fresh toppings.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
shop kitchen tools: