Hi, friends! Happy Friday!
If you’re self quarantining like I am, you’re trying to get used to the new normal. For me, my new normal has consisted of a peaked interest in at home happy hours. And with this, has come a deep love for this classic mint mojito. It’s refreshing, tangy, a little spicy with a sprinkle of cayenne and of course – minty. Is there a better smell than freshly crushed mint?! For a second, you just might think you’re sitting on a tropical beach…and who doesn’t want that right now.
Now that we’re finishing up week 4 of quarantine, I’m extra grateful I decided to get my husband this cocktail kit for Christmas last year. It has everything you could need for at home cocktails and is stored in a super sleek bamboo stand. It’s what really inspired him to create this mojito and boy am I reaping the rewards of this gift!
how to make homemade simple syrup
The first step to making your mint mojito is making homemade simple syrup! It is SO easy, don’t let this stop you. All you need to do is whisk your cane sugar with warm water until fully combined. Let it sit for 10ish minutes (may I suggest making guacamole during this time?) until the sugar granules have dissolved. BOOM. Done. I told you.
preparing your classic mint mojito
Add your mint and simple syrup to the bottom of a shaker.
Next, crush the mint leaves in the syrup until fragrant. Then, add in your rum (we used Captain Morgan), lime juice and ice and shake until fully mixed.
Finally, strain mixture over glass filled with crushed ice. Lastly, top your mojito with a splash of lime flavored sparkling water (we used La Croix – the lime is subtle!).
Garnish with a lime wedge, mint and a sprinkle of cayenne! And if you’re wanting something extra boozy, may I suggest one more splash of rum?
Only requires 5 ingredients and 5 minutes! Refreshing, tangy, tiny bit spicy and of course – minty!
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces simple syrup (instructions for making below)
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 4 ounces of spiced rum
- 8 ounces sparkling lime water (we used La Croix)
- Optional: pinch of cayenne
- Add 1 cup of fresh, rinsed mint and 2 ounces homemade simple syrup to your shaker (or a tall glass with a lid like a mason jar). We recommend adding in the stems too for extra minty flavor!
- Next, add in the rum, lime juice, and ice. Screw on lid and shake until fully combined. Set aside.
- Fill your two drinking glasses ¾ full with ice.
- Strain rum mixture into glasses and top with sparkling lime water and a sprinkle of cayenne. Using a spoon, carefully stir to combine.
- Top with lime wedge and more fresh mint. Enjoy!
How to make homemade simple syrup!
- Add ¾ cup cane sugar to 5 ounces of warm water. Whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes or until sugar has fully dissolved. Creates roughly 1 cup of simple syrup. Stores well in the fridge for several days.
- We used this mixology kit
- This recipe makes 2 drinks
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Muddle
- Cuisine: Drinks
Keywords: mint mojito; classic mint mojito; vegan cocktail; homemade cocktail; 5 ingredient cocktail; easy cocktail; beginner cocktail