If you’re looking for delicious cheap vegan meal ideas, you’ve come to the right place! In this blog post, I’m sharing some of the best cheap vegan meals that you can make at home without breaking the bank. From hearty pastas and soups to flavorful stir-fry dishes, these recipes are not only budget-friendly, but easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
5 Types of Cheap Meals
To keep these recipes organized, I’ve organized them into 5 categories. These meals are some of the most affordable you can make and can help you lower your grocery bill every month by hundreds of dollars.
- Pasta dishes: Pasta is a budget-friendly meal that can be cooked in a variety of ways with different sauces and toppings.
- Soups and stews: Soups and stews are hearty and filling meals that can be made with inexpensive ingredients like beans, lentils, and vegetables.
- Rice dishes: Rice is one of the most affordable and versatile ingredients that can be used to make a variety of dishes like fried rice, risotto, paella, and rice pilaf.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Sandwiches and wraps are quick and easy meals that can be made with a variety of cheap vegan fillings. You can never go wrong with a simple peanut butter and jelly.
- Stir-fry dishes and Buddha bowls: Stir-fry dishes are a great way to use up leftover vegetables and can be made with a variety of proteins like tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
Tips for Cooking Cheap Meals
- Shop your own pantry first: Before heading to the grocery store, take a look in your pantry, fridge, and freezer to see what ingredients you already have on hand. This will help you avoid buying unnecessary items and make use of what you already have.
- Plan your meals: Planning your meals for the week can help you stay organized and avoid buying too much food. Look for recipes that use similar ingredients, so you can buy in bulk and save money.
- Buy in-season produce: Buying fruits and vegetables that are in season is not only cheaper but also more flavorful and nutritious. Check out your local farmer’s market or grocery store flyer for deals on seasonal produce. New deals at grocery stores usually come out every Wednesday!
- Buy in bulk: Buying staples like rice, beans, lentils and pasta in bulk can save you money in the long run. Look for discounts at bulk stores like Costco or Sam’s Club or purchase larger packages at regular grocery stores.
- Use canned or frozen fruits and vegetables: Canned or frozen fruits and vegetables are often cheaper than fresh produce and often just as nutritious. They are also convenient since they have a longer shelf life and can be used in a variety of recipes.
- Make your own plant-based milk and cheese: Plant-based milk and cheese can be expensive, but they are easy to make at home with ingredients like nuts, seeds, and oats (my personal favorite!).
- Get creative with leftovers: Don’t let leftovers go to waste! Turn them into new meals by adding fresh ingredients or repurposing them into different dishes. Check out the Buddha bowls section below for inspiration on pairing flavors together.
Now use these tips and the recipe ideas below to cook delicious vegan meals on a budget.
And for more meal planning inspiration, check out my free vegan meal plans.