This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
When I was in college, one of my favorite things to eat for lunch was an egg white and veggie frittata topped with an absurd amount of ketchup. It was one of the only things I knew how to make but it sounded just fancy enough to make me feel like I knew what I was doing! Now, I am basically still doing the same thing, with one minor adjustment! This sweet potato and kale chickpea frittata requires just 6 ingredients and is very customizable.
To substitute the egg in this recipe, we are using chickpea flour and red lentils. Still packed with protein and surprisingly, the texture is not far off from the real thing!
Picking your veg
In this version, I used sweet potato, red kale, garlic and onion as my veggies, but you could really use anything! A good plant-based sausage would also be delicious here. Some of my favorites plant-based sausage brands are Field Roast and Beyond Meat. Another great addition would be our homemade bacon bits! The options are endless. I do love the sweet, caramelized flavor of the sweet potato paired with the slight crunch of the kale. It’s so simple, but so delicious! Kale is one of the better greens to use, in my opinion, because it will hold its shape better than other greens like spinach, for example.
Once you’ve decided what veggies you want to use, it’s time to make the chickpea/red lentil batter mixture to set aside while we sauté our veg. Add the chickpea flour and red lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of water a time to the chickpea flour and red lentils until you’ve added 4 cups of water.
Next, dice your veggies and sauté them in a little bit of oil until soft. If you are using kale or other greens, throw them in for the last three minutes or so until they are bright green. Be careful not to overcook your greens!
I do highly recommend using a cast iron skillet for this frittata!
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you could use any skillet you have that is also oven friendly since this recipe is finished in the oven. The less dishes the better. If you have the means though and cook often, I highly recommend considering adding a cast iron skillet to your kitchen! You can get one for fairly inexpensive on Amazon and I use it daily!
Next, in the mixing bowl, stir your chickpea and red lentil mixture to be sure it is well incorporated and then pour over top your veggies!
Finally, using the flat side of a spatula, gently push down any veggies that are sticking out of the mixture. You want the top to be as flat as possible and have all sweet potato and kale covered by the chickpea/lentil mixture so everything cooks evenly.
After 55 minutes or so, it should be ready! So easy, delicious, and surprisingly eggy! Great for meal prep and perfect for hosting Sunday brunch!Print
Sweet potato and kale chickpea frittata! Only requires 6 ingredients and is so easy and customizable! Perfect plant-based option for all your brunching needs.
- 4 cups sweet potato
- 1 bunch red kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (sometimes called besan flour)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil for sautéing (I used avocado oil)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add chickpea flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red chili flakes (optional) and rinsed, red lentils to large mixing bowl. Mix in 1 cup of a water at a time until you have added 4 cups of water. This will help avoid clumps. Set aside bowl. This should sit for about 20 minutes while you sauté veggies.
- Dice your onion, garlic, and sweet potato and kale.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a cast iron skillet or other oven friendly skillet until soft.
- Next add in the sweet potato and sauté until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add in red kale and sauté for a few minutes or until bright green. Careful not to overcook the greens.
- Finally, mix the chickpea flour and red lentils mixture once more before pouring overtop the veggies in the cast iron skillet.
- Using the flat side of your spatula, gently push down any veggies that are sticking above the chickpea and lentil mixture. You want all veggies to be covered so everything cooks evenly.
- Cook your frittata in the oven in the cast iron skillet for 50-55 minutes. It should be slightly brown around the edges.
- Serve with a side of greens and a sprinkle of salt! I also love this with ketchup or hot sauce!
- Red lentils cook very easily so they do not need to be precooked! Just be sure they have about 20 minutes to soak in chickpea flour and water mixture while you sauté veggies. This will allow them to soften.
- This recipe is very customizable! Use any vegetables you would like. Just shoot for similar ratios. Roughly 5-6 cups veggies.
- I recommend cooking this in a cast iron skillet but any oven friendly skillet should do.
Keywords: vegan breakfast; vegan frittata; sweet potato and kale frittata; vegan meal prep; easy recipes; one pot dish; plant-based recipe