This Vegan Cream of Mushroom soup is the perfect soup for colder nights! It comes together in 30 minutes, is also gluten free, only requires 12 ingredients and is full of fresh mushrooms! Healthy, comforting and delicious!
The best thing about soups is they are very forgiving, easy to customize, easy to double or triple, and generally make for great leftovers.
This soup is no exception!
You can switch up the mushrooms to accommodate what you have on hand, use onion instead of shallot, and use the parmesan cheese or not! Entirely up to you and your preference.
Best Ingredients for the Best Soup
- Mushrooms! I used baby bella, but you can use whatever mushrooms you can find. The fresher the mushrooms, the better the flavor!
- Red wine. Adds acidity and sweetness! It will also help deglaze the bottom of the pot and keep all those delicious flavors back into our soup! YUM. If you don’t want to use alcohol, swap in pomegranate juice. You’ll get that same acidity and sweetness just without the alcohol!
- Miso Paste. Gives this soup a umami, savory undertones and creates so much depth! I don’t recommend skipping this ingredient. It’s also a great thing to have on hand. I use it in in a lot of recipes, like this Spicy Creamy Instant Pot Ramen and Vegan Corn Chowder.
- Coconut milk. Canned coconut milk is an excellent plant-based swap for heavy cream. It’s the secret to the creamiest vegan soups! Regular plant-based milks are much thinners and will not have the same effect. You want the canned version for creamy soups.
- Fresh sage. It’s earthy and tastes both sweet and savory. It’s one of my favorite herbs to cook with. I find it in the produce section and highly recommend adding it to your kitchen!
Making Your Soup!
This soup is very simple. First, sauté the shallot and garlic until fragrant. Then add in your mushrooms and red wine.
Sauté undisturbed for 5 minutes. This will help the mushrooms get a really nice brown and glaze on the bottom.
Then, add in the vegan butter, miso paste, and fresh sage. Allow to sauté again undisturbed for 5 minutes. Our soup will have a really great deep flavor at this point!
Now, you can set aside a small portion of the mushrooms (about half cup) if you would like to top your soup with mushroom slices. This is really just for aesthetics and is not necessary so if you do not care to have mushrooms on top you can leave them all in the pot!
Add the broth, water, and parmesan and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Then, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth!
Return the soup to your pot and add in a cornstarch slurry, if desired. Cornstarch will thicken your soup slightly, but is not necessary for flavor.
Stir in coconut milk and top with kale. Add the lid, and allow the kale to steam for 5 minutes or so. My personal preference is leaving kale on top, but you can absolutely stir it into the soup!
Serve immediately with set aside mushrooms and I recommend a piece of sourdough toast with vegan butter! Or, even better, my Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread!). You can not go wrong with that bread.
I hope you guys love the recipe. If you give it a try, please leave me a comment down below and give this recipe a rating. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment as well! I do my best to respond quickly.
More Vegan and Gluten Free Recipes
- Crustless Vegan Quiche
- Easy Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers with Cilantro Lime Rice
- Broccoli and Kale Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Crispy Tacos de Papa
This vegan and gluten free cream of mushroom soup is made with fresh mushrooms and takes just about 30 minutes. Perfect for cold evenings.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced (can substitute half onion, diced)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 0unces bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine (can substitute pomegranate juice)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- ½–¾ cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 bunch dino kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large 5 qt pot over medium heat. Add in the sliced shallots and minced garlic, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add a splash of vegetable broth to prevent burning if necessary. Sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms with two tablespoons of red wine. Give it a good stir, then allow mushrooms to sauté undisturbed for 5 minutes. This will allow them to get a good glaze on the bottom.
- After 5 minutes, stir in vegan butter, miso paste, and chopped sage leaves. Allow to sauté again undisturbed for 5 additional minutes.
- Optional: Remove ½ cup of sliced mushrooms from pot and set aside for topping soup for serving.
- Add the water, broth and vegan parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine. If you are not planning on using vegan parmesan, consider using 3 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups of water as the vegan parmesan does add salty flavor. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a large high speed blender and blend until smooth. Be careful to not overfill blender canister. Heat expands greatly when blending. Blend in batches if needed.
- Return soup to pot over medium-low heat and if desired, add a cornstarch slurry to thicken (1 ½ tablespoons corn starch mixed with three tablespoons water). Do not add cornstarch directly to pot without mixing with water first as it will not dissolve and remain clumpy.
- Stir in coconut milk and add sliced kale to top of soup. Add lid and allow kale to steam for 5 minutes. I like to leave kale on top of soup as opposed to stirring it in completely. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and top with set aside mushrooms.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can use any mushrooms you have. A mixture of mushrooms would even work.
- I don’t recommend an immersion blender for this soup. You want it completely smooth and a blender will do this best.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup, vegan mushroom soup, vegan 30 minute meal, vegan soup