I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys because this vanilla cake in a mug is perfectly fluffy, moist, and very cakey. Most cakes in a mug I have tried are never cooked completely and are gummy. But not this one! We’ve achieved perfect cake texture here and I am so excited to eat many of these in the future. It’s the best quick treat to satisfy a cake craving without needing to go through the trouble of baking a real cake!
I’ve never been a big dessert person. When I was a kid I usually ate some of the frosting off of a slice of cake and that was it. I was never one of those crazy sugar obsessed kids (you’re welcome, mom). I actually was known to have sold my Halloween candy to people instead of eating it. I’d walk around my mom’s workspace after Halloween and sell people a piece of candy for fifty cents. Then I’d go back to my moms desk and pour handfuls of quarters onto her desk. Entrepreneur at heart!
With that being said, I think this cake in a mug may have converted me into a cake person. It’s amazing that you can achieve such good texture in a microwave!
Why not bake it?
Now I think it goes without saying that this recipe is EASY. As much as I LOVE my Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf I just made, it does require a lot more effort than this one, including a one hour bake time. With a cake in a mug we have very few dishes, less than five minutes total and completely fool proof. This one’s perfect for novice bakers or when you’re just feeling lazy and need dessert FAST.
To make your vanilla cake in a mug, all you need to do is add in the dry ingredients and mix together, then add in the wet and mix until completely combined! Finally press in 5 raspberries! Trust me, raspberries are perfect here.
picking the perfect mug
Now the only thing that will make a difference here is the mug you choose. The best mug for mug cakes are wide and more shallow. If you pick a mug that is too narrow and tall, it will not rise properly.
I used the “Old Havana Mugs” from Anthropologie for this recipe and they’re really perfect! You obviously don’t need this exact mug but it’s 10 ounces and about 6 inches wide. Picking a mug that’s close to this one in shape will be best!
LOOK AT THAT FLUFFY BITE OF CAKE!
I’m feeling very inspired to keep this cake in a mug project up. The flavor possibilities are endless! What do you think?
Vanilla Cake in a Mug
- Wide Mug
- 7 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened non dairy milk I used unsweetened soy milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil I used avocado
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 raspberries plus more for topping.
- Add dry ingredients to a wide, shallow mug and mix to fully combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix to completely combine.
- Press in five raspberries. If you do not use raspberries, consider adding 1-2 teaspoons water to keep cake from drying out.
- Microwave 2 minutes-2 minutes 15 seconds depending on your microwave (2 minutes and 10 seconds was perfect for me).
- Do not use too narrow of a mug or it will not rise properly. I used this mug. It is about 10 ounces and 6 inches wide.
- If you do not use fresh raspberries, consider adding 1-2 teaspoons water to keep cake from drying out.