This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
This coconut chocolate chip banana bread is perfectly sweet, buttery and has hints of coconut throughout from both shredded coconut and coconut oil. Is there anything else a vegan banana bread needs?
using coconut oil in banana bread
While this banana bread is baking it seriously smells like you’re baking a banana bread with two sticks of butter. My mom even says it tastes like a donut! And I think I owe that to the magic of coconut oil! This recipe only calls for a quarter cup of coconut oil. A little goes a long way in making luxurious, donut tasting banana bread!!
A banana bread that smells like it contains two sticks of butter but doesn’t? Happy holidays, everyone.
Now, this recipe is super super easy. Made in one bowl, requires very little active time, and is made with ingredients you likely already have on hand in your pantry! Get ready to experience that two sticks of butter smell!
I’m usually a savory breakfast person, but this is the perfect thing to have in the kitchen for when you are running out the door and have no time to make something. Or when you get hangry while making dinner. Also makes a good snack or even a dessert with a drizzle of maple syrup. YUM.
Basically good for all life scenarios. You will never be upset about having banana bread on hand.
If you are looking for a SUPER healthy banana bread, I would recommend Sweet Simple Vegan’s banana bread. It is the epitome of a healthy banana bread. It’s vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and oil free. I’m not going to attempt a super healthy vegan banana bread because honestly, you can’t beat this one.
BUT, sometimes life calls for a banana bread that’s healthy, but a bit more indulgent. A bread that feels like dessert but is appropriate for breakfast. And that’s where this coconut chocolate chip banana bread comes in. Still refined sugar free and vegan, but tastes like a donut. Just ask my mom!
making your banana bread:
First you’ll want to mash your bananas in a large bowl. Add in the baking soda and allow it 10 minutes or so to activate. You’ll notice the mashed bananas become really light and fluffy! This is good!
Once fluffy, add in the rest of the liquids and stir gently to combine.
Next, slowly fold in the dry ingredients.
Lastly add in the chocolate chips and flax egg and very gently fold these into the batter. You don’t want to over mix or your bread won’t rise as nicely!
what’s a flax egg?
If you’re new to vegan baking you might be thinking what the heck is a flax egg? Don’t worry. I had that same thought once upon a time.
A flax egg is essentially one tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with two and a half tablespoons water. This mixture creates one flax egg. This recipe calls for two flax eggs so just double it!
As this mixture sits (for about fifteen minutes) it gets very gelatinous and a very similar consistency to eggs! It helps bind together the bread the same way eggs do. How cool is that?!
If you try this vegan banana bread recipe, please leave a comment down below and let me know what you think! You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram and share a photo of your Home Cooked Recipes! Just tag #homecookedroots!
Easy vegan banana bread made in one bowl with key ingredients: coconut, coconut oil, chocolate chips and flax eggs! Perfectly sweet and slightly coconutty!
- 3 large bananas (roughly 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed plus 5 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, make your flax eggs and set aside.
- Mash 3 large bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add in 1 1/2 tsp baking soda and allow to activate until mashed banans are light and fluffy (about 10 minutes).
- Next, add in maple syrup, melted coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Next, add in spices, flour and shredded coconut. Fold in gently to combine (do not overmix!)
- Finally, Gently fold in chocolate chips and flax eggs to combine (the flax eggs should be gelatinous and egg like in texture).
- Pour mixture into 9″x5″ loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- I do not recommend refrigerating this bread! It makes it very dense!
Keywords: banana bread; vegan banana bread; easy vegan baking; healthy banana bread; chocolate coconut banana bread