As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through my links. Please view our terms for additional information on our affiliations.
This kale and beetroot salad is so fresh and nutritious. It’s sweet, filling and the most satisfying way to get your greens in. Plus, the strawberry dressing is the easiest homemade dressing that’s also oil-free. Most importantly, this salad comes together in a couple of minutes! It’s the perfect summer salad for hosting or warm weeknights when it’s way too hot to cook.
If I am going to be honest, I’ve never been a huge salad person. I love when people assume that being vegan means I love salad because I can go many, many weeks without eating kale or any greens for that matter. Not saying I recommend that because greens are one of the most nutritious things on the planet, but there are just so many other vegan options. Eating salad has never been a craving of mine. I’m much more of a taco girl.
I think part of the reason I’ve steered clear of salad is because they’re usually really boring. ESPECIALLY in restaurants. It really hurts me to pay upwards of $20 for a salad when you have to take practically every topping off to make it vegan…Sigh.
But of course, like most things, making salads at home is so much better and is generally a lot healthier. And this salad recipe is no exception! It’s inspired me to share more salad recipes that are both hearty and healthy. What are your favorite salad toppings?!
building your kale and beetroot salad
To start, wash and chop your kale into bite size pieces. Make sure to remove all stems!
Add the kale to a large mixing bowl and squeeze half of a lemon overtop. Massage the kale with clean hands until it is tender! I don’t recommend skipping this because this makes the kale much more palatable and easy to digest. It’s super easy and only takes a minute!
Once the kale is broken down and a bit softer, add in the arugula and strawberry balsamic dressing! Toss this together until it is fully combined and looking extra pretty!
Finally, add on your beetroots, strawberries, slivered almonds and chickpeas. I used pre-cooked beets to make this even easier and quicker. Quite possibly the fastest meal on Home-Cooked Roots to date!
Note: Did you know I named my blog Home-Cooked Roots because I love root vegetables?! Beetroots are one of my favorite things ever.
Now this recipe is written to serve four but feel free to change the measurements depending on your needs. And if you’re more of a taco lover like me, check out our Slow Cooker Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos with Mango Salsa. That might be more your jam.
I hope you guys love this one. It’s super simple and delicious. If you give this recipe a try please leave me a comment and share it on social media! You can follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!Print
This kale and beetroot salad is so fresh and nutritious. It’s sweet, filling, oil-free and the most satisfying way to get your greens in. Great for meal prep, hosting, or hot summer nights when no one wants to cook!
- 6 cups lacinato kale (dino kale)
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 4 cups sliced beetroot (I used pre-cooked!)
- Handful of slivered almonds
- Juice of half of a lemon
STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Remove the stems of the lacinato kale and chop into thin, bite sized pieces.
- Add to a large bowl and squeeze the half of a lemon over top. Massage the kale until it is soft and tender. It will break down a bit and reduce in volume. This will help make it more palatable and easier to digest.
- Once your kale is tender, add in the arugula and strawberry balsamic dressing and toss greens until coated.
- On top of your greens, add the slivered almonds, strawberries, beetroot and chickpeas. Enjoy!
STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC INSTRUCTIONS
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add the balsamic vinegar, strawberries, and hemp seeds. Cover with lid and allow the strawberries to break down, stirring occasionally.
- Once strawberries are fully broken down, strain the stawberry balsamic dressing through a mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Allow to cool before tossing with your greens.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer salad, beetroot salad, easy vegan salad, strawberry salad, strawberry balsamic, easy meal prep