- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 block extra-firm tofu - drained and pressed
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger - minced or grated
- 4 stalks green onions - chopped, whites and greens separated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups cabbage - thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots - grated
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Chopped cilantro
- Green onions
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok over medium heat. Crumble in the tofu with your hands. Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be dry and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, whites of the green onions, salt, and half the sauce. Stir together and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and carrot and mix everything together. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until the cabbage is slightly wilted. Add the rest of the sauce and cook for another 2 minutes or until the mixture is combined and any liquid has reduced.
- Remove from the heat and top with the remaining green onions, sesame oil, and chopped cilantro. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Meal Prep Instructions
- Prep the sauce in advance and store in an airtight glass jar in the fridge.
- Chop the vegetables in advance and store in separated airtight containers.
- This recipe isn’t the most freezer friendly – freezing cabbage will change the texture.
- Tofu substitution: The tofu and mushroom mixture can be replaced with 1 lb of vegan or regular beef.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.