Learning how to microwave a sweet potato is a great skill to have when short on time, low in energy, or simply need a fast, healthy snack. These sweet potatoes are as soft and buttery as oven baked potatoes, yet ready in a fraction of time.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. There are various cooking methods for sweet potatoes, but the easiest, fastest way to cook a sweet potato is in the microwave. It’s easy enough for older kids to do on their own or when you don’t want to heat up the house with the oven.
- Versatile vegetable. Depending on the toppings you choose to use, these sweet potatoes can make a simple side dish, delicious hearty breakfast, or savory stuffed potato.
- Great nutritional value. Sweet potatoes are a great source of Vitamins A and C, beta carotene, fiber, can promote gut health, and tastes absolutely delicious!
How to Make Microwave a Sweet Potato
- Clean the potato. Wash and scrub your sweet potato to remove any dirt, debris or lingering residue.
- Pierce the sides. Poke the potato four times per side with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Wrap the potato. Get a damp paper towel and wrap it around the whole sweet potato. Place potato in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook the sweet potato. Microwave on high power for the appropriate time for the weight of the potato (see notes in recipe card!). Make sure to flip halfway through. See my notes below for my recommendations.
- For a large sweet potato (15 oz), cook for four minutes, flip, and then cook for another four minutes.
- For a medium (10.5 oz) or small, fat (9 oz) sweet potato, cook for three minutes, flip, and cook for three more minutes.
- For a small, skinny sweet potato (8 oz), cook for three minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
There are a lot of different ways to serve a sweet potato! Serve them for breakfast, a dinner side dish, or a healthy afternoon snack. Here are some of my favorite topping suggestions:
- Simple: Simple pat of vegan butter, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Sweet Breakfast: Stuffed with nut butter, jam, maple syrup, and sliced banana or berries.
- Savory Breakfast: Topped with Tofu Scrambled Eggs, Black Beans, and vegan nacho cheese!
- Sweet potato casserole: Sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, vegan butter, and chopped pecans.
- Mexican-inspired: Served with Black Beans, Cashew Sour Cream, Tomatillo Green-Chili Salsa, Sofritas, and Easy Guacamole.
If you need even more options, check out these 26 Sweet Potato Toppings for When Butter Isn’t Enough.
Microwaved sweet potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To refrigerate, allow the potatoes to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container.
To freeze, allow the potatoes to cool completley, then wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in a freezer safe zip top bag.
How long do you microwave a sweet potato for?
For microwave cooking, the length of time you need to cook the potato will largely depend on the size of the potato and the wattage of the microwave. Smaller, thinner sweet potatoes will need a shorter cook time. A medium-sized or large sweet potato will naturally need a longer cook time to fully cook through the center. Scroll down to the recipe card for weighted recommendations.
Are sweet potatoes good microwaved?
Yes! And it is one of the easiest methods to cook sweet potatoes until soft and creamy! Make sure to poke small holes with a fork four times on each side before cooking.
Can you microwave two sweet potatoes at the same time?
The short answer is yes, but the different sizes of the potatoes will determine how much longer to cook them for. Large sweet potatoes will take a longer time than a medium potato. You should add two to four minutes for an additional sweet potato. After that, cook in one minute intervals, checking to see if the cooked sweet potato is done.
Does microwaving sweet potatoes destroy nutrients?
No! Actually, using the microwave for your cooking process will help keep more water-soluble vitamins in than some other cooking methods! So not only is it quite possibly the easiest way and quickest way to cook sweet potatoes, it may also be one of the best options for your health!
Tips for Success
- The cooking time is going to differ based on the size of the sweet potato. It is important to weigh the potato beforehand. If you cook it too long, it can become dry and shriveled. If you don’t cook it long enough, it may still be hard in the middle when you cut into it.
- After cooking, make sure a fork can go into the center of the potato without much resistance. If it still seems hard, continue to cook it in 30-second increments, checking for doneness.
More Easy Side Dishes You May Like
How to Microwave a Sweet Potato
What You’ll Need
- 1 raw sweet potato - skin on
- Wash and scrub your sweet potato to remove any dirt or other residue.
- Use a fork to poke holes into all sides of the potato. I did about 4 per side.
- Dampen a paper towel and wrap the potato with it. Place the wrapped potato in the microwave.
- Microwave on high power for up to 8 minutes (see notes section for specific times based on weight of potato), or until a fork can easily pierce through the potato without much resistance.
- large potato = 15 ounces = 4 minutes + flip, 4 minutes = 8 total minutes
- medium potato = 10.5 ounces = 3 minutes + flip, 3 minutes = 6 total minutes
- small fat potato = 9 ounces = 3 minutes + flip, 3 minutes = 6 total minutes
- small skinny potato = 8 ounces = 3 minutes + flip, 2 minutes = 5 total minutes
General note about salt
Please pay attention to the type of salt called for in the recipe (if applicable). Not all salts are made equal and cannot be substituted 1 for 1. If you are substituting table salt for kosher salt, you will need to cut the amount called for in the recipe by at least half.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
Photography by: Your Home Made Healthy