These crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts are perfectly charred on the outside, yet soft and tender in the middle. They’re cooked in half the amount of time as the oven making them the perfect quick and healthy weeknight side. Options for cooking both fresh and frozen included!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Perfect texture. If you grew up hating boiled Brussels sprouts, you have to give these air fryer Brussels sprouts a try. They have crispy edges with tender centers and are irresistibly delicious. A great crunch factor!
- Healthy side dish. Brussels sprouts are low carb, healthy vegetables. Adding a little avocado oil and then seasoning adds flavor, but doesn’t take away from the health benefits. Check out these Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts to learn a little more about this less commonly used vegetable.
- Ready in 30 minutes. The prep time only takes a couple of minutes, then let the air fryer do the rest. The cooking time itself is 12-15 minutes, which is considerably less time than a regular oven!
- Simple ingredients. This Brussels sprouts recipe has basic ingredients that can easily be found at the grocery store year-round. Chances are you have everything you need already in the pantry to make these tonight!
- Brussels Sprouts – In the fall and winter it’s fun to purchase a stalk of Brussels sprouts, but fresh or frozen Brussels will do! If purchasing fresh, make sure the leaves are holding close together. They should be slightly firm with bright green tops. Smaller Brussels sprouts will have a sweeter taste than larger sprouts, so choose according to your preference.
- Avocado Oil – This is one of the best oils for air frying as it has a high smoke point and is a great source of healthy fats. Any other high smoke point oil will work well – try vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil, or refined coconut oil.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – The perfect pair for any vegetables! The salt enhances the flavor while the pepper adds more flavor with a little kick.
- Lemon Juice – This is optional, but I definitely recommend it if you have it on hand! It gives a bright and clean flavor to these vegetables. Not to mention some Vitamin C!
How to make Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Prep the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut the ends off of the fresh sprouts and cut them in half.
- Season the sprouts. Combine the sprouts, oil, and seasoning in a medium bowl and mix.
- Put in the air fryer. Lay the spouts in a single layer in the bottom of your air fryer basket. For best results, make sure they aren’t on top of each other.
- Cook Brussels sprouts. Air fry Brussels sprouts for 12 to 15 minutes. Pull out and shake the air-fryer basket halfway through.
- Serve. Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the crispy sprouts and enjoy!
Cooked Brussels sprouts can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container. For optimal results, make sure they are dry before storing.
To freeze them, make sure they are cooled completely to room temperature, then spread them out on a parchment lined baking tray. Place the tray in the freezer to flash freeze.
Once frozen, transfer the Brussels sprouts into a freezer-safe bag or airtight storage container.
To reheat Brussels sprouts, put them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until warmed through and crispy again.
Variations & Substitutions
- Top with some vegan parmesan cheese for a cheesy twist.
- Get some soy sauce to dip your roasted Brussels sprouts in.
- Use some lemon zest instead of or along with your lemon juice.
- Get a slightly different flavor with garlic cloves or garlic powder with lime juice on top.
- Spice these crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts up with some red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle some balsamic vinegar over the top.
- If you want to try something a little different, try maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and pomegranate seeds.
- If you don’t have avocado oil, you can use extra light olive oil or another oil with a high smoke point.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
This Brussels sprouts recipe is a great side dish to pair with almost any main dish or protein. I recommend trying it with my Classic Beyond Meat Meatloaf, Vegan Tofu Bolognese, Vegan Tater Tot Casserole, or BBQ Tempeh.
Why did my Brussels sprouts burn in the air fryer?
Basket style air fryers can differ in size and shape which can affect the cook time. If your crispy Brussels sprouts recipe burns, chances are your air fryer runs hotter than mine. To prevent them from burning in the future, I’d recommend taking a few minutes of the cook time or checking periodically for doneness.
Why won’t my Brussels sprouts get crispy?
Even the best air fryer won’t crisp up your Brussels sprouts if your temperature isn’t high enough or you’ve piled too many Brussels sprouts in the basket. I recommend cooking them at 380 degrees F and cooking them in a single layer (or close to it).
Can I air fry Brussels sprouts without oil?
You can use less oil, very little oil, or no oil at all with the air fryer. It’s one of the huge benefits over deep frying. That being said, I think you get the best flavor and crispiness when you do coat them in some oil before cooking.
Tips for Success
- If your Brussels sprouts are extra big or you want them to be super tender Brussels sprouts, quarter them rather than halve them.
- To make sure you get perfectly crispy results, make sure to lay the sprouts in a single layer so the hot air can reach them evenly.
- Different brands, shapes, and sizes of air fryers can affect the cook time of these crispy air fryer Brussel sprouts. The best way to make sure they come out perfect every single time is to check them a couple of minutes early to be sure they are cooking well.
More Easy Side Dishes You May Like
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
What You’ll Need
- Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 380F.
- Cut the ends off of the Brussels sprouts. Then, cut them in half.
- Add fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts to a medium bowl. Drizzle avocado oil over top. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to fully coat sprouts in the oil and seasonings.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the basket or tray of your air fryer. Try to spread them out into a single layer so they can get crispy.
- Air fry Brussels sprouts at 380 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring/shaking them halfway through.
- Serve while hot and crispy with a squeeze of lemon juice for added freshness, or as desired.
- If your Brussels sprouts are extra-large or you like them very tender in the middle, cut them into quarters.
- Air fryers come in all different shapes and sizes. Therefore, you might want to check your brussels sprouts about a minute or two before the time is up, just to make sure they are cooking properly.
- Frozen Brussels sprouts note: I prefer to cut whole frozen Brussels sprouts in half before air frying. When air fried whole, they tend to be on the mushier side in the center. Cutting them in half of freezing them halved helps avoid this.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
Photography by: Your Home Made Healthy