This Vegan Tater Tot Casserole is made with vegan ground beef, homemade Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, crisp green beans and sweet juicy corn. It’s perfectly cheesy, savory, and packs 23 grams of protein without meat! Prep this family favorite in just 15 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Super simple. This vegan tater tot casserole is made with just 8 ingredients and requires just 15 minutes of prep. Great for busy weeknights and trying out Meatless Mondays.
- Easy to customize. Use your favorite vegan ground beef, vegan cheese, and tater tots and make this casserole one the whole family will love.
- Ultimate comfort food. There’s nothing better than a super hearty casserole every once in a while and this vegan tater tot casserole doesn’t disappoint. If you love casseroles, try my Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta Bake and Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake too!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- vegan ground beef – I use Beyond beef, but you can also use Impossible Ground Beef or even 2-3 vegan burger patties broken up into a ground texture (about 16 ounces). For a healthier, option you can substitute tofu ground beef, lentil vegan ground beef, or vegan soy curl ground “beef”.
- vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup – If you’ve ever looked for a vegan version of Campbell’s condensed cream of mushroom soup, you’ll know it’s hard to come by. I’ve personally never come across a canned vegan version, so I took it into my own hands to make my own. Make your own Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, then come back and finish your casserole!
- Worcestershire – When buying Worcestershire sauce, make sure to buy a version that is free of anchovies. My favorite brand to use is Annie’s Organic Worcestershire Sauce. It has the best flavor and is easy to find in stores. As a last resort, you can always order vegan Worcestershire sauce on Amazon .
- tater tots – Any frozen tater tots will do. You can even use Crispy Sweet Potato Puffs for a fun, healthier twist.
- corn and green beans – I use frozen because I almost always have it on hand, but you can use canned and drained green beans and corn. With any leftover corn, try my Roasted Chili Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat!).
Step by Step Instructions
Before starting, go to the Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup post and prepare it ahead of time. You can even do this a few days in advance (or months in advance if you freeze it) to help cut down on prep time.
- Sauté the onion. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, sauté the diced onion in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and softened.
- Brown the vegan ground beef. Add the vegan ground beef into the pan with the sautéed diced onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegan beef is no longer pink.
- Transfer the onion and vegan beef mixture to a casserole dish. Spread it evenly in the bottom of the dish.
- Top with green beans and corn. Again, spread evenly over the top of the beef to create an even layer.
- Add the Vegan Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. I like to use a cookie scoop to dollop it over the top of the casserole and then spread it evenly with a silicone baking spatula.
- Sprinkle with vegan cheese shreds. I typically use vegan cheddar shreds, but you can use any shreds or even make homemade vegan cheese. My Tofu Mozzarella or Melty Vegan Cheese would both be amazing in this tater tot casserole.
- Optional: Mix all ingredients to combine! If you prefer a mixed base of the casserole, you can mix it up before topping with casseroles. However, if you prefer layers, skip this step!
- Top with a single layer of tater tots. Feel free to have fun with it and make any type of design you’d like.
- Bake! Bake the vegan tater tot casserole for
Potatoes are naturally gluten free, but tater tots are not always gluten free. But good news is there are a few gluten free brands to look for at the grocery store. Check out this comprehensive guide to gluten free tater tots to find a complete list of gluten free brands.
Absolutely, and it’s a great idea. Try making two casseroles at once and freeze one for later. I use these disposable baking pans to freeze whole casseroles in. Or, if you’d like to freeze single serve portions, divide the casserole ingredients amongst Souper Cubes freezer cubes and freeze small portions before baking. For full freezer instructions, view the complete recipe card notes down below.
Tater tot casserole pairs well with roasted vegetables like carrots, brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus or simple side salads.
- Take time to layer the tater tots on top in a single layer. This will help them cook and brown evenly.
- Add additional veggies, if desired! Adding 1 cup of diced mushrooms or carrots to the beef mixture would be delicious. You could also swap the corn and green beans for a frozen vegetable medley mix.
More Vegan Dinner Ideas You May Like
Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
What You’ll Need
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil - substitute another neutral oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion - diced
- 16 ounces vegan ground beef - defrosted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups green beans - frozen or canned and drained
- 2 cups corn - frozen or canned and drained
- 1 vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe
- 2 cups vegan cheese shreds
- 24 ounces frozen tater tots - use your favorite
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or another neutral cooking oil). Add diced onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant and softened.
- Add in defrosted vegan ground beef and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in vegan Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the vegan beef mixture to the casserole dish and spread evenly in the bottom.
- Layer in the corn, green beans, vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup, and cheese shreds. If desired, toss to combine or leave as layers (see photos in post for reference).
- Add a single layer of tater tots (24 ounces should be the perfect amount to cover the entire top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven, top with diced parsley, and serve immediately while hot.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Lightly grease a disposable baking dish, then follow steps 2-7 as written. Then tightly cover casserole dish with a layer of saran wrap, then 2 layers of tin foil. Label the top with recipe name, date it was frozen, and cooking instructions. Bake from frozen at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 75 minutes, or until warmed through. This tater tot casserole will freeze well for up to 3 months.
- Vegan Ground Beef options: I use Beyond beef, but you can also use Impossible Ground Beef or even 2-3 vegan burger patties broken up into a ground texture (about 16 ounces). For a healthier, option you can substitute tofu ground beef, lentil vegan ground beef, or vegan soy curl ground “beef”.
- Vegan cheese options: Make your own homemade cheese if desired. Both Tofu Mozzarella (no nuts, no oil) and Melty Vegan Cheese would work great.
- Prep time does not include making the vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe.
- Favorite freezer tools: I use these disposable baking pans to freeze whole casseroles in. Or, if you’d like to freeze single serve portions, divide the casserole ingredients amongst Souper Cubes freezer cubes and freeze small portions before baking. For full freezer instructions, view the complete recipe card notes down below.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
Add a Comment