Merry Christmas Eve! I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season. It went by SO fast but I’ve had a great month. And to top it off, your Christmas Eve NEEDS this easy slow cooker mulled wine. It’s perfect for parties and hosting and is seriously so easy! Sweetened with apple cider and maple syrup and spiced with all the good holiday spices, this recipe is the perfect thing to make your holiday season all the more festive!
how to choose the best wine for mulled wine
You want to pick a red that’s light with more fresh fruity flavors. A Zifandel or Merlot would be great. Generally an unoaked red will have these qualities! You also want to pick a wine that’s good quality. You don’t need to use something super expensive, but you don’t want something cheap either. You want it to be a wine you’d enjoy drinking on it’s own to be sure you get that good bold, fruity flavor!
how to find vegan wine
You may know already that not all wine is vegan. However, it is very easy to figure out what wines ARE vegan thanks to this amazing website: Barnivore. It not only explains why certain alcohols are not vegan, but it is a super extensive resource that will tell you whether or not your alcohol is vegan! Check it out if you haven’t been on their site before.
how to make slow cooker mulled wine
Making this mulled wine is SO easy. I love making it in my slow cooker (you can use the crockpot or instant pot!) because I can dump in all of the ingredients, set it to warming and walk away. And then, if you do decide to bring it to a party, it’s super easy to transport and you can plug it in when you get there and leave it on warm! Delicious mulled wine all night long!
All you need to do is add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and leave it on the low setting for 1-3 hours. You can also make this on the stove, just be sure it does not boil or the alcohol may be cooked off.
This recipe is so so easy yet so delicious! Who doesn’t love a recipe that requires very little effort but has a great payoff!
I hope you guys try this recipe for all of your last minute holiday festivities! If you do, please leave a comment or share it on social media! I love seeing when you guys make my recipes!
Easy Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- 2 bottles red wine fruity notes
- 4 cups apple cider
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 large oranges juiced
- ⅓ cup orange rinds
- 1 tablespoon star anise crushed
- 1 tablespoon cloves crushed
- 4 cinnamon sticks broken in half, plus more for garnish
- Crush your star anise, cloves and cinnamon sticks. I find the easiest way to crush star anise and cloves is in a spice grinder or coffee grinder. You can also do this with the side of a knife, if needed. You do want to be sure that these spices are crushed or the flavor will not be as strong.
- Add all ingredients from the ingredients list to your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Strain orange rinds and spices out of mulled wine.
- Return mulled wine to slow cooker or Instant Pot and leave on warming function.
- Serve with orange slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish. Enjoy!
- Check Barnivore to make sure your wine is vegan!
- Choose a good quality wine with fruity, bold flavors!
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.