Thick and buttery from the potatoes, creamy from the cauliflower and topped with a flavorful kick with the bacon bits…This potato, cauliflower and leek soup with smoky bacon bits and fried sage is the perfect go-to comfort soup to warm you up on a cold night! And best part? This soup is made in one pot in 30 minutes and only requires 6 ingredients.
Is it just me or do potatoes just belong in all soup and chowders. They’re the perfect thing to throw in to make it more filling and thick. Plus, they’re incredibly cheap! And I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’ve met anyone that doesn’t like potatoes. My husband regular reminds me that he does not like sweet potatoes, but regular potatoes…everyone loves them. French fries? Mashed potatoes? Hello.
Now this recipe is SO easy it may just turn into one of your favorite go-to week night recipes. Although I make this recipe in the instant pot, you could absolutely make it on the stove top as well. To make this recipe as easy as possible, I like to make the smoky bacon bits ahead of time and just keep them on hand in the fridge. If you haven’t seen my bacon bits recipe check it out here. It is inspired by Lauren Toyota from Hot For Food. In her new cookbook, she has tons of vegan bacon recipes that look unreal!
Preparing the potato, cauliflower and leeks
All you need to do is chop your leeks, onion and garlic. I don’t even chop my potatoes – just plunk them in whole. Now, if you’re using really large potatoes, you may want to chop them to assure they cook through completely. I swear by gold potatoes and they usually come small enough where chopping is now required. Win.
Additionally, I like to use riced cauliflower, but if you want you can use a whole cauliflower and cut it into bite sized florets. Now add the ingredients to the instant pot like seen below.
Twist on the lid and set the valve to seal and cook the potato, cauliflower and leek soup for 15 minutes!
After 15 minutes, allow the instant pot to de-pressurize naturally for 10 minutes and then remove the lid. It should look a lot like it looked before cooking! It will just look a bit darker in color – more golden. See below.
Now for the last step! Using your immersion blender, blend the ingredients together until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also ladle the soup into a high speed blender, and blend until smooth in batches.
Now serve your potato, cauliflower and leek soup with smoky bacon bits, fried sage, and a piece of buttered sourdough toast. Delicious and best way to warm up on a chilly evening.Print
Thick and buttery from the potatoes, creamy from the cauliflower and topped with a flavorful kick with the bacon bits…This potato, cauliflower and leek soup with smoky maple bacon bits and fried sage is the perfect go-to comfort soup to warm you up on a cold night! And best part? This soup is made in one pot in 30 minutes and only requires 6 ingredients.
- 12 small Gold potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 12 oz riced cauliflower
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- bacon bits
- fried sage
- Chop leeks, onion, and garlic
- Add all soup ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Be sure lid valve is set to seal.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally de-pressurize for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup ingredients in the Instant Pot until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also use a high speed blender like the Vitamix and blend the soup in batches.
- Serve with bacon bits, fried sage and a piece of buttered sourdough toast! Frying sage is very easy – just add a few fresh sage leaves to oil in a hot cast iron skillet for about 1 minute.
- The instructions for making the bacon bits can be found here. I recommend making them ahead of time and having them stored in the fridge!
- You can use cauliflower florets instead of riced cauliflower. I would recommend substituting 2 cups cauliflower florets.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender you can also blend this soup in the Vitamix or other high speed blender.
- Category: main dishes
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: instant pot soup; easy recipes; one pot recipe; potato cauliflower leek soup; fall recipes