This healthy mashed potatoes recipe is one of my favorite instant pot recipes! Gone are the days of peeling, dicing, draining, and THEN mashing your potatoes on the stove top. With these instant pot mashed potatoes, you’ll have delicious creamy potatoes ready in about 30 minutes with practically zero effort! Perfect for when you’re feeling lazy and are short on time.
Now the key to this recipe is using GOLD potatoes.
Gold potatoes are naturally so creamy and buttery in texture and have a soft skin that doesn’t need to be peeled before cooking. They are the PERFECT potatoes for instant pot mashed potatoes. They are also a lot less starchy tasting than russet potatoes.
I have tried this recipe with russet potatoes, and it does work, however russet potatoes are usually a lot larger and therefore will take longer to cook. I would either increase the cook time or chop them in half before cooking.
I would also recommend peeling russet potatoes first if you do need to use them. But see, now we’ve lost the lazy, easy, dump and go quality in this recipe because we are talking about peeling and chopping – things we’re trying to avoid here! Just trust me on this – gold potatoes are the way to go.
Now for the how to: instant pot mashed potatoes! Rinse all of your gold potatoes and dump them in your instant pot on top of the trivet. Pour in 1 cup of water and twist on the lid. Make sure the valve is set to SEAL and cook the potatoes on MANUAL pressure cook for 12 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure.
But how easy is that?! No chopping, peeling, boiling, nothing. Dump and go work on whatever else you’re serving for dinner. I love eating these mashed potatoes with my lentil and carrot meatloaf. YUM.
Sometimes I will also leave the potatoes whole and skip the mashing and eat them as baked potatoes.
YES you can so do that and I highly recommend it.
Did any of you make baked potatoes growing up by wrapping russet potatoes individually in tin foil and sticking in the oven for literally an eternity? Only to have pretty dry baked potatoes that needed heaps of sour cream and butter to make palatable.
Never again! After these cook, they are so soft buttery and creamy you’ll fall in love. I am proud to report I have completely sworn off oven baked potatoes.
After the instant pot has naturally de-pressurized for 10 minutes, release the rest of the pressure manually and you will have perfectly cooked potatoes! Pierce each one to be sure it has fully cooked through, but they should be PERFECT.
Now for the fun! Remove the trivet on the bottom and pour out any remaining water on the bottom carefully without keeping the potatoes in the instant pot. Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
Add in butter (one of my favorites is Miyoko’s), unsweetened plant-based milk, and my personal favorite: a dollop of cashew sour cream! Ugh. So good!
I have given measurements for how much vegan butter, vegan milk, and cashew sour cream I like to use, but just eye ball it and taste as you go! It’s pretty hard to mess this up.
The best healthy instant pot mashed potatoes! Very little hands on work yet creamy potatoes every time.
- 3 pounds gold potatoes
- 1 cup water (for cooking)
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I like Miyoko’s brand!)
- 1 cup cashew sour cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (any unsweetened plant-based milk will do)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Rinse the gold potatoes well.
- Place the trivet in the instant pot and add in 1 cup of water (for steaming).
- Place all of the gold potatoes in the instant pot.
- Twist on the lid and set the valve to SEAL. Cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- After the instant pot has naturally released pressure for 10 minutes (the screen should read L10), manually release the rest of the pressure and remove lid.
- Carefully pour the remaining water out of the bottom of the instant pot and remove the trivet.
- Mash the potatoes directly in the instant pot and add in the butter, milk, cashew sour cream, salt, onion powder, and pepper to taste.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
CASHEW SOUR CREAM INSTRUCTIONS:
- You can leave the gold potatoes whole and enjoy as baked potatoes too!
- I highly recommending using GOLD potatoes for this recipe. You can use russet, but I would peel them and cut them in half before cooking.
- Category: instant pot
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot; instant pot mashed potatoes; one pot recipe; easy recipe; vegan; plant-based