This vegan tofu ricotta cheese is the perfect topping on all of your favorite savory pastas, toast, and pizzas. Made with 8 simple ingredients. Have this ready in about 5 minutes!
I don’t love store-bought vegan cheeses. They’re expensive, hard to find, and usually taste nothing like dairy cheese.
Don’t get me wrong, I love that we have the option to buy them. But when I can make vegan cheese at home that not only tastes better and is way cheaper, I’m a happy girl.
And this tofu ricotta is no exception!
Why This Recipe Works
- Tofu processed in the food processor makes the perfect vegan ricotta texture.
- Firm tofu is the perfect texture and doesn’t need to be pressed before hand, making this recipe really quick and easy.
- Lemon juice makes this tofu ricotta tangy like a cultured dairy version.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- firm tofu – The base of this vegan ricotta. Can substitute extra firm tofu or medium tofu, but I wouldn’t use anything softer. Need the structure of a firmer tofu here!
- nutritional yeast – Helps make this ricotta cheesy without the dairy!
- unsweetened plant-based milk – Adds creaminess and gets this ricotta to the right texture. Can substitute water if needed.
- lemon juice – Replicates the sourness in cultured dairy. No great substitutes.
- dried oregano, parsley and basil – For that Italian seasoning flavor.
Step by Step Instructions
- Break tofu block into 4 pieces and place in the food processor. No need to press the tofu ahead of time. Just plop it in straight from the packaging.
- Add the remaining ricotta ingredients.
- Process for 30 seconds to a minute, then dollop on your favorite pasta, pizza, lasagna, toast and more! Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
No, this ricotta is specifically for savory recipes. If you want to use this in a sweet recipe, I’d leave out the spices and nutritional yeast.
A blender will likely over blend this ricotta and make it a little too smooth and thin. If you only have a blender, I’d pulse it carefully to try and not overdo it!
Yes, that would be so fresh and delicious! I’d substitute 2 tablespoons fresh for 1 tablespoon of dried!
- Don’t use frozen then thawed tofu. I know I really recommend it in my 30 Minute Crispy Peanut Tofu and Sticky Vegan Orange Chicken recipes, but a regular block of tofu is best here. When you freeze tofu, a lot of the water drains out of it and the texture changes. Save the frozen tofu for a different recipe!
- Don’t skip the lemon juice – You really need that acidity here to give this ricotta flavor profile body. Regular dairy ricotta is cultured and has a tang because if it. If you skip the lemon juice the flavor is going to be really flat and lacking.
What to Use this Ricotta With
More Cheesy Vegan Recipes to Try
- Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread!)
- Vegan Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- Beer Braised Jackfruit Enchiladas
- Break tofu block into 4 pieces and place in food processor (no need to press it before hand) along with rest of ingredients.
- Process until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Enjoy with pastas, lasagna, and any savory dish calling for ricotta.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups of savory ricotta. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezing not recommended.
- I wouldn’t make this recipe in the blender. It will make it a bit too smooth and over processed.
- I do not recommend leaving out the lemon juice or attempting to replace it with a different acid. Vinegar will be too strong and lime juice is a little too sour.
General note about salt
Please pay attention to the type of salt called for in the recipe (if applicable). Not all salts are made equal and cannot be substituted 1 for 1. If you are substituting table salt for kosher salt, you will need to cut the amount called for in the recipe by at least half.
The kitchen tools section contains affiliate links to products I recommend and love.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.