The creamiest vegan corn chowder that only requires 12 ingredients and comes together in less than an hour. This soup is rich it’s hard to believe it’s vegan.
This corn chowder is inspired by a corn chowder I had in Maui on my honeymoon at a restaurant called Monkeypod. They used fresh coconut milk and it was pretty incredible. And although my coconut wasn’t fresh, sadly, it still helped create an incredibly creamy base for this vegan corn chowder soup.
First, blend together cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, coconut milk, and vegetable broth and set aside.
Next, add onion to a pot with a tablespoon of oil and cook until translucent. Next add in the gold potatoes and frozen corn and then add in the cream sauce. Add the lid and cook on low until potatoes are fully cooked. You’ll know when they are easily pierced with a knife.
Lastly, stir in the frozen kale until warmed through.
How to Thicken Your Chowder
This recipe as is should thicken nicely without any additions and will thicken even more once it cools because of the starches in the potatoes. However if you want yours thicker, I would recommend adding a ½ tablespoon of cornstarch first mixed in a slurry.
This chowder is very good on it’s own but I added some red chili flakes. Truth be told, I think I am incapable of not adding some sort of spice to the top of every dish. I’ll admit, I am a hot sauce addict. And also a pickled jalapeños addict. Now that I think of it, hot sauce and pickled jalapeños would also be delicious chowder toppings.
If I had it in my fridge right now, I’d also add my vegan bacon bits to this. And for more fresh toppings, I’d recommend green onion or cilantro and lemongrass! Yum.
More Vegan Soups
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Pot Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Potato Cauliflower and Leek Soup with Smoky Bacon Bits
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and leave a review in the comment section! I always appreciate your feedback and I know other readers do, too!
Please also stay in touch with me in our Facebook group, on Pinterest or follow me on Instagram! Sign up for my email list, too! I send my email subscribers an exclusive email-only recipe each month!
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 4 cups unsweetened plant-based milk not canned coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashews raw and unsalted
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 4 cups gold yukon potato chop
- 1 ½ cups kale frozen
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons miso paste optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- Soak 1 cup of raw cashews in hot water for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes drain the cashews and add to the Vitamix or other high speed blender along with the coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and miso paste (optional) and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the diced onion in a tablespoon of oil until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, salt, parsley and garlic powder and stir.
- Next, add in the cashew cream mixture from the Vitamix and stir. Lower the heat and add the lid. Allow the chowder to simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the frozen corn and kale until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and top with optional red chili flakes, green onion, smoked tempeh maple bacon bits and vegan cheese. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.