As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through my links. Please view our terms for additional information on our affiliations.
Like most people, everything I’ve been cooking lately is full of pantry staples. And this vegan corn chowder is no exception! Uses only 12 ingredients, frozen veggies, and some of my personal favorite pantry staples – potato, coconut milk, cashews, and nutritional yeast. This recipe also comes together in under an hour and is incredibly easy! And best part? It is SO creamy it’s hard to believe it’s vegan. Proof that cream based soups don’t need dairy!
This corn chowder is inspired by a corn chowder I had in Maui on my honeymoon at a restaurant called Monkeypod. They used fresh coconut milk and it was pretty incredible. And although my coconut wasn’t fresh, sadly, it still helped create an incredibly creamy base for this vegan corn chowder soup.
First, blend together cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, coconut milk, and vegetable broth and set aside.
Next, add onion to a pot with a tablespoon of oil and cook until translucent. Next add in the gold potatoes and frozen corn and then add in the cream sauce. Add the lid and cook on low until potatoes are fully cooked. You’ll know when they are easily pierced with a knife.
Lastly, stir in the frozen kale until warmed through.
how to thicken your chowder
This recipe as is should thicken nicely without any additions and will thicken even more once it cools because of the starches in the potatoes. However if you want yours thicker, I would recommend adding a 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch first mixed in a slurry.
best toppings for vegan corn chowder
This chowder is very good on it’s own but I added some red chili flakes. Truth be told, I think I am incapable of not adding some sort of spice to the top of every dish. I’ll admit, I am a hot sauce addict. And also a pickled jalapeños addict. Now that I think of it, hot sauce and pickled jalapeños would also be delicious chowder toppings.
If I had it in my fridge right now, I’d also add my smoked tempeh maple bacon bits to this. And for more fresh toppings, I’d recommend green onion or cilantro and lemongrass! Yum.
If you make this recipe, please write me a comment below and let me know how it worked for you! I can’t wait for you guys to try this one. Dairy is just not necessary in a creamy chowder soup!Print
The perfect pantry staple soup – only requires 12 ingredients, frozen veggies and some of my favorite vegan essentials – Cashews, potatoes, coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Have this vegan corn chowder ready in under an hour!
- 4 cups coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup soaked, raw cashews
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups, chopped gold Yukon potato
- 1 1/2 cups frozen kale
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp miso paste (optional)
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- Soak 1 cup of raw cashews in hot water for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes drain the cashews and add to the Vitamix or other high speed blender along with the coconut milk, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and miso paste (optional) and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in a tablespoon of oil until translucent.
- Add the chopped, gold Yukon potatoes, Himalayan pink salt, dried parsley and garlic powder and stir.
- Next, add in the cream mixture and and stir. Lower the heat and add the lid. Allow the chowder to simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the frozen corn and kale until heated through.
- Serve immediately and top with red chili flakes, green onion, and smoked tempeh maple bacon bits. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan corn chowder, vegan potato chowder, creamy chowder, vegan soups, easy vegan dinners, gluten free dinner