This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, meaning we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to purchase through our links.
Ok this recipe…it’s unreal. If you’re only going to try one of my recipes, let it be this one! This 13 bean chili with cornbread waffles feels so indulgent yet is pretty healthy. It’s packed with fiber, has a bit of heat from the taco seasonings, and stores well in the fridge, making this the perfect recipe for your Sunday meal prep.
This 13 bean chili can be made in the instant pot or in the Crockpot and is SO easy. It is the epitome of a dump and go recipe. Now, my favorite part of this recipe is that it uses a 13 bean mix. Using a variety of beans gives this chili great texture. I got my 13 bean mix from Bob’s Red Mill and have linked to the exact one I used here! I’ve also seen 15 bean mixes and that would work perfectly fine too! Just be sure to remove the seasoning package that it comes with.
Doesn’t that look so pretty?! Bonus points for you if you can name all of the beans in the comments below!
Making the 13 bean chili in the instant pot:
Now all you need to do is sauté together the onion, bell peppers, jalapeno and taco seasoning packets directly in the instant pot for about 10 minutes or until soft.
Then, add in the dry beans mixture (no soaking required) and 6 cups of water. Mix together and then twist on the lid! Set the Instant Pot to cook on Manual high pressure for 45 minutes. That’s it! So unbelievably easy.
Now, after the instant pot has naturally de-pressurized for 15 minutes, you can release the rest of the pressure. Once you remove the lid you might be thinking what I first thought when I made this…uh oh!
when you first remove the lid, it might look like it did not cook properly.
When I first made this and saw it look like this after removing the lid I immediately thought to myself, alright, I guess we’re having take out tonight! But don’t you worry!! It actually really is cooked. Stir it together and you will find that it is PERFECT. All of the beans are cooked well and all it needed was a good stir. At this point, add in 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 can of green chilis. Stir to combine. Afterwards, your chili should be looking something like this and is ready to eat!
now about the cornbread waffles..
The waffles are SO easy and basically fool proof. All you’re going to do is mix together the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Allow your waffle iron to preheat. Once ready, scoop about 3/4 cup of the batter onto the waffle iron at a time. I cooked mine on setting 5 on my waffle iron and they were crispy, yet moist on the inside! So delicious and much more fun than regular cornbread! Such a good recipe to wow any dinner guests.Print
This chili can be made in the instant pot or in the Crockpot and is SO easy. It is the epitome of a dump and go recipe. Perfect for an easy meal prep or freezer meal. Pair it with the cornbread waffles and wow your dinner guests!
13 BEAN CHILI INGREDIENTS:
- package of 13 bean chili or 15 bean chili (I used this Bob’s Red Mill one)
- 1 large red onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 packets of vegetarian chili seasoning
- 6 cups of water
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (reserve for after cooking)
- 1 can green chilies (reserve for after cooking)
CORNBREAD WAFFLES INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (any plant-based milk will work)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- green onion
- vegan sour cream
- fresh dill
- vegan cheese (we love Violife parmesan)
INSTANT POT CHILI INSTRUCTIONS (6 QT INSTANT POT):
- Dice the red onion, bell peppers and jalapeno.
- Saute the onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno together in the instant pot in a little bit of oil on the saute function. About 10 minutes or until onion, bell peppers and jalapeno are soft.
- Add in the taco seasoning packets and stir well to combine.
- Rinse the 13 bean mixture well. Then, add directly to the instant pot (no soaking required).
- Add in 6 cups of water. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 45 minutes. Be sure valve on lid is set to seal.
- Allow instant pot to de-pressurize naturally for 15 minutes before releasing rest of pressure.
- Finally, stir in the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and green chilis.
CROCKPOT CHILI INSTRUCTIONS:
- Dice the red onion, bell peppers and jalapeno.
- Rinse the 13 bean mixture well.
- Add all of the chili ingredients listed in the ingredients section above to the Crockpot except the canned tomatoes and green chilies (no soaking of the beans or sautéing of veggies required).
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, stir in the 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 can of green chilies.
- Cook on high for 1 more hour and it should be ready (total cook time of 5 hours).
- Mix together 1 tbsp ground flaxseed and 2 1/2 tbsp of water and set aside to allow flax egg to form. About 10 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle iron to setting 5.
- Add the rest of the cornbread waffle ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add in more milk 1 tbsp at a time if the mixture seems to dry.
- When the flax egg is ready, gently fold it into the batter.
- Once the waffle iron has pre-heated, scoop about 3/4 cup of batter onto waffle iron and cook.
- This recipe should make about 3-4 full size waffles.
- I used a 6 QT instant pot. If yours is larger or smaller, you may need to reduce or increase the water accordingly.
- If you cook this chili in the instant pot, it may look like it did not cook properly when you first remove the lid. Just stir it and it should be cooked well! See my pictures in the post for reference.
- Cook the waffles while the chili is in the instant pot or crockpot to save time! These waffles also freeze well and can be made ahead of time. I just reheat them in the toaster!
- I do not spray my waffle iron with oil before cooking the waffles because my waffle iron is nonstick. If your waffle iron generally needs oil to prevent sticking, I would recommend spraying your iron with oil before cooking.
- Category: main dish
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crockpot recipe; instant pot recipe; easy dinner idea; vegan chili; cornbread waffles; plant-based meals; meal prep; freezer friendly