The easiest vegan lasagna soup that’s made hearty with red lentils, cremini mushrooms and topped with homemade tofu ricotta, melted vegan mozzarella and fresh basil! Make it in either the Crockpot or Instant Pot on busy weeknights!
I’m a huge fan of Italian lasagna and love it just as much in soup form! It’s so warm, comforting and delicious! Pair it with my Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread!) and it might be my favorite meal!
Whether you make this recipe in the pressure cooker or slow cooker, there’s no need to pre-cook the lasagna sheets. A true one-pot lasagna soup either way!
Why This Recipe Works
- All the delicious flavors of oven baked, layered lasagna, without the work or prep time!
- No-boil lasagna sheets cook perfectly right in the soup, eliminating the need to use multiple dishes!
- Homemade vegan tofu ricotta helps emulate the cheesy flavors of traditional lasagna without requiring dairy cheese.
- Red lentils and mushrooms are the perfect substitutes for ground beef in a traditional ragù lasagna. Just as much protein and flavor!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- spices – In addition to garlic and onion powder, I used a blend of dried basil, oregano, and parsley for a homemade Italian seasoning. Substitute 1 tablespoon of a pre-made Italian seasoning.
- miso paste – I love using miso paste to give meals depth and umami. Highly recommend it if you can find it. It’s also a healthier, plant-based substitute for table salt!
- vegan Worcestershire sauce – Another great ingredient for umami flavor. Annie’s makes my favorite vegan version.
- cremini mushrooms – Great substitute for beef. Can be left out all together if you’re not a mushroom fan.
- red lentils – Adds protein and makes this lasagna hearty! They melt perfectly into the tomato sauce!
- tomato paste and crushed tomatoes – Crushed tomatoes and tomato paste are usually cheaper than marinara sauce and develop so much flavor over 8 hours in the slow cooker.
- vegan beef broth – Can be substituted with vegetable broth, but vegan beef broth is great here!
- no-boil lasagna sheets – Prevents the need to precook your noodles! Most are vegan, just watch out for egg!
Step by Step Instructions
The step by step instructions and photos are for using the slow cooker. If you would like to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, see the recipe card down below for full written instructions!
- Whisk the miso paste, Worcestershire, and tomato paste into the warm vegan beef broth until fully incorporated. This is going to prevent the pastes from clumping in the bottom of the soup and will ensure it is evenly distributed.
- Add all ingredients, except for lasagna sheets and toppings to the slow cooker. Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- When soup has 20-25 minutes left, break the lasagna sheets into smaller pieces and stir into soup so they are completely submerged in the liquid.
- Once lasagna is al dente, serve immediately with a dollop of tofu ricotta, mozzarella cheese, nutritional yeast, red chili flakes, and fresh basil, if desired.
I recommend substituting cheese with the tofu ricotta. If you want additional cheesy flavor, I’d recommend adding 1 cup store bought vegan mozzarella shreds at the same time you add the lasagna sheets to the soup or sprinkled on top after serving.
If you want to freeze this soup, I’d recommend freezing all of the soup ingredients together BEFORE cooking in a large freezer safe ziplock or container. Then, when you would like to eat it, thaw soup in refrigerator for 24 hours and cook according to instructions. I do not recommend freezing after cooking, especially not after adding the lasagna sheets.
Yes, cubed butternut squash or sweet potato would be fantastic here. Or you could add zucchini or bell peppers!
- Make this recipe in the slow cooker if time allows! I find the flavors of the marinara to be much richer when it’s cooked low and slow!
- Add the tofu ricotta for the perfect final touch. Lasagna needs some sort of creamy “cheese” to be complete!
- Pair this soup with my Vegan Cheesy Garlic Bread (Pull Apart Bread!). You won’t regret it!
- Don’t skip the vegan Worcestershire or miso paste. They make a huge difference in flavor!
More Vegan Dinner Ideas
- 13 Bean Chili
- Vegan Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
- Vegan Hamburger Helper (One Pot Pasta!)
- 40 Meatless Monday Ideas
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and leave a review in the comment section! I always appreciate your feedback and I know other readers do, too!
Please also stay in touch with me on Pinterest or follow me on Instagram! Sign up for my email list as well to get vegan recipes and cooking tips sent straight to your inbox.
Vegan Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 4-5 cups vegan beef broth
- 6-8 sheets lasagna
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a large bowl or pyrex, whisk miso paste, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste into 5 cups warm vegan beef broth until fully incorporated. This helps ensure the flavors are fully mixed into soup and there are no clumps.
- Add all ingredients except for lasagna sheets and tofu ricotta to slow cooker pot.
- Set slow cooker to 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When lasagna soup has 20-25 minutes left to cook, break lasagna sheets into smaller pieces and stir into soup. Simmer noodles until al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of tofu ricotta, vegan mozzarella cheese shreds, nutritional yeast, red chili flakes, and fresh basil, if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions
- In a large bowl or pyrex, whisk the miso paste, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste into 4 cups warm vegan beef broth until fully incorporated. This helps ensure the flavors are fully mixed into soup and there are no clumps.
- In the following order, add the ingredients to the Instant Pot: Vegan beef broth mixture, mushrooms, red lentils, spices, and crushed tomatoes. Do not mix.
- Break lasagna sheets into thirds and layer on top of crushed tomatoes. Press them in slightly until just submerged. Again, do not mix.
- Add the lid, and cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to seal.
- Once Instant Pot has cooked at high pressure for 6 minutes, manually release pot pressure.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of tofu ricotta, nutritional yeast, red chili flakes, and fresh basil, if desired.
- Once soup has cooled to room temperature, transfer to storage containers and store in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Remove the soup from slow cooker or Instant Pot immediately after cooking to prevent lasagna from overcooking.
- If cooking in the Instant Pot, be sure to add the ingredients in the specific order listed. This is to prevent the lasagna, lentils and tomatoes from burning to the bottom of the pot.
- I prefer making this soup in the slow cooker on low as it really allows the marinara to develop best flavor.
Disclaimer: The Nutritional Information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.